Yeti GOBOX Collection

New Zealand DIY

Bambistew

Has anyone hunted NZ by themselves (or even guided)? I'm planning a trip down there for spring of 2013. I've done some research and have a few places picked out, but would like to hear some first hand experiences.

I understand the hunting pressure is pretty high on public land, but is it similar to the US where you can out-walk the majority of your competition in 5-6 miles?

What 3 gear items are a must have?

Did you bring your trophies back on the plane or have them shipped?

Did you find access (driving) to the mountains/public land difficult? What are the odds of knocking on a few doors to get permission to hunt?

Buddy is going down there in April to hunt with a friend. I wasn't invited this trip, but hopefully next time.

I have hunted there and been looking to go back unguided myself in the next few years. I have done plenty of research and have a few local hooks up to get going, just need a willing partner.

First, it isn't like many think. All of the game outside of the estates is considered a nuisance, much of killed off by the government or poisoned as none of it is native. Most of the hunting is done on public land, if you aren't paying a guide, and there is a plenty of it. There are places to hike to in the mountains to hunt from that you can rent a small outpost camp from and use as a base camp. Game is plentiful, but don't be expecting huge stags off of the estates. Wilderness stags are small and don't have the same genetics as the ones you see on TV. Tahr and chamois though are excellent, I killed both on public ground. We used a helicopter to get back in and out, made sense since my wife was along and helps you to get away as road access if minimal. The country is diverse, think anything from Alaska to Ireland to South America. They have everything from glacial mountains to rainforest.

Not sure on pressure, but I never saw another sole when we were on public ground. Stags and fallow I would assume would be different, but if you want to hunt mountain game, I don't think you will see many others. Stags, I can't tell you, I was on a large estate.

Take a good set of ankle gaiters, a GPS, and some rope to retrieve mountain trophies. Other than that, it is a great country to be in. Not sure about bringing in guns, as I had to sign mine over to the guide when I arrived, but I am still working on those details.

I brought everything back on the plane, just line everything up with the USDA and USFW. You have to have the proper export paperwork from New Zealand Veterinarians and meet with USFW when you return. The good thing is New Zealand is disease-free, so everything can come back with out. Hell, they even cleaned my boots when I arrived to make sure I had no foreign soil.

I was going to say I thought it was tough to bring guns over there.Alot of the guided hunts I see have you use their guns because of that problem
Be a cool trip.I'd like to see how you make out

I was going to say I thought it was tough to bring guns over there.Alot of the guided hunts I see have you use their guns because of that problem
Be a cool trip.I'd like to see how you make out

I think its harder to get a gun into Canada. :D I think it takes a phone call/email to the police in NZ ahead of time so they know you're coming, and a $25 gun permit when you get there. I think its quite easy from those that I've talked to.

I've had a few people contact me from other boards, one who lives there and one who lived there and hunted a bit. I'll be happy to share any details I get as I get them. The Department of Conservation has a ton of information, maps, etc. The hard part is narrowing down areas and then doing the reserch on that specific area.

I'm not worried about the stags being record book, I just want to hunt one on my own. I'll be perfectly happy with any bull.

Good to know about bringing hides/horns back. I spoke with someone that said it was possible but thats as far as I got. I believe its a matter of getting the proper paperwork on that end, and then clearing it yourself when you get in?

Right now the plan is to focus on mountain game for at least a week, and then switch to deer/stag for the second week or so. I think we'll probably go for 18-20 days to include travel.

Good point on the rope, but then I'd need the rest of the gear I would think, harnesses, cams, slings, etc. I'll probalby just take a 9mm cllimbing rope, and leave it at that and try not to shoot one in a bad spot. Don't want to haul too much stuff.

One thing I'm wondering about is what to do with the meat? I'm pretty sure I can just kick it off in the ditch if I wanted, but that just seems wrong. Wondering if its possible to donate it or something since I can't bring it home.

Last edited:
I think its harder to get a gun into Canada. :D I think it takes a phone call/email to the police in NZ ahead of time so they know you're coming, and a $25 gun permit when you get there. I think its quite easy from those that I've talked to.

You are correct, but they also turned the gun over to y guide and he had to keep it locked in a safe at his house and in his possession while we were there I will work on some details with my contacts.

I've had a few people contact me from other boards, one who lives there and one who lived there and hunted a bit. I'll be happy to share any details I get as I get them. The Department of Conservation has a ton of information, maps, etc. The hard part is narrowing down areas and then doing the reserch on that specific area.

I can provide you with some info via PM about where we hunting tahr and chamois, heck, I bet if I got on google earth I could show you the exact location. If it we me, I would hire a helicopter and have them fly me there, it was a long long way from any roads and I be you would be all alone.

I'm not worried about the stags being record book, I just want to hunt one on my own. I'll be perfectly happy with any bull.

Just wanted to let you know. I am in the same boat. There are plenty of areas to hunt stags, let me check with my buddy in NZ for some general info.

Good to know about bringing hides/horns back. I spoke with someone that said it was possible but thats as far as I got. I believe its a matter of getting the proper paperwork on that end, and then clearing it yourself when you get in?

Paperwork, hides have to be salted and dried, and skulls have to be boiled clean. You have to have NZ paperwork, but I think you can get it from a taxidermist. There is a time table as well.

Right now the plan is to focus on mountain game for at least a week, and then switch to deer/stag for the second week or so. I think we'll probably go for 18-20 days to include travel.

That sounds fair, thee is alot to see there and some cool stuff to do. I highly recommend the shot over jet boat ride. It is in the middle of sorts.

Good point on the rope, but then I'd need the rest of the gear I would think, harnesses, cams, slings, etc. I'll probalby just take a 9mm cllimbing rope, and leave it at that and try not to shoot one in a bad spot. Don't want to haul too much stuff.

That fair, the is some nasty stuff over there, but having rope would be a necessity.

One thing I'm wondering about is what to do with the meat? I'm pretty sure I can just kick it off in the ditch if I wanted, but that just seems wrong. Wondering if its possible to donate it or something since I can't bring it home.

I don't know, I know they don't care what you do with it, but tahr was really good eating. My guide took care of that stuff. You may be able to give it t farmers, as they have lots of dogs to herd the sheep and probably feed it to them.

Dont forget they also have wild pigs.
This is is the way they get the deer off the hill, be warned there is some strong language!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1JX3P0Sx58
And some of the finest fly fishing in the world, if you don't fish then learn before you go.
I plan on going one day, but Montana is beckoning.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks for the reply Monteman!

Not sure I'd pack out 100lbs of meat to give to a pack of dogs. I think the birds would enjoy it as just as much.

I've thought about learning how to fly fish. :rolleyes: :D

Mtmiller, legwork is done on my end. I have friends in the country that will coordinate things so we can fly light. the only thing I would like to do is charter a chopper to fly back in and out, as just getting in is the difficult part.

I would like to do is charter a chopper to fly back in and out, as just getting in is the difficult part.

Its my understanding that a good portion of public land hunting is off limits to choppers... but the outfitters have figured out a way around this?

So the gun registration requires an address of someone in NZ. This is similar to South Africa. Not really a problem getting a rifle in the country, but you need a 'connection' of sorts.

Ivan, you sumbich.............why don't you have some kids already so you can't go do all this stuff anymore...........rest of us are getting jealous:D:D

I'm gonna go down to your dads and smoke a big ol whitey buck just before you get home;)

Really hoping tha this works out, I have a person with a place there siad I could use it any time just need to get the flight, thought this would be a great vacation with a bonus hunt in the mix. Good luck.

You maybe right bambistew, but there are definitely places you can fly into and then hunt and have them pick you up in "X" number of days. I think the chopper rule has a lot to do with outfitters having their hunters flown in and immediately shooting after spotting game or shooting from the air, but I could be wrong. That is the deal on getting guns in, luckily, I have a few connections. If you are going, shoot me a PM when you get close and I will give you a general idea of Tahr and Chamois spots.

Hell, if this is all possible- chalk one up for FIN's future episodes. Bambi, I would really be impressed with an on your own New Zealand hunt. Your coolness level would be in the ranks of this dude's:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-03 at 12.17.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-03 at 12.17.52 PM.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 7,690
You maybe right bambistew, but there are definitely places you can fly into and then hunt and have them pick you up in "X" number of days. I think the chopper rule has a lot to do with outfitters having their hunters flown in and immediately shooting after spotting game or shooting from the air, but I could be wrong. That is the deal on getting guns in, luckily, I have a few connections. If you are going, shoot me a PM when you get close and I will give you a general idea of Tahr and Chamois spots.

From what I understand, there are areas that no one is supposed to fly into, but rules are broken all the time. I've found a couple transporters who can fly me in for a reasonable sum into open areas. ($1500-2000) RT for up to 3 people.

There is more public land to hunt there than time will allow. I've narrowed it down a little further, and will be concentrating my reserch to see if its really where I want to go. Its amazing how much information is on the net. The logistics difficulty seems to be about on par with an Alaskan hunt.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back