Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How Old Is Your Bow?

emrah1028

I read (and see) a lot of people shooting the latrest and greatest whiz-bang parallel limb bow. While that's nice (and they DO shoot nice), I'm curious about how old the average bow is among us.

I have a 13+ year old (I think?) PSE Nova. I bought it back in 1998 or so. It maxes out at 55 lb. draw weight. It's pretty loud, with a definite "thunk!" when I shoot it. I'm great at 20 yards, pretty good at 30 and I can get 5" groups at 40 if I REALLY try.

I'm sure there are many more like me who are shooting old-tech bows. So what do you shoot?

Emrah

I'm still shooting my Bowtech Tribute from 2006. I've killed a lot of animals with it and am not done with it yet! My hunting set-up is still shooting between 295-300 fps and I shoot out to 70 yards with no problem! I just might have it for another 5 seasons. Like the old saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't fix it"!

Mattews FX, bought in 2000. It has its third set of sights,and second rest on it now. As much as i would like to get a new bow,its still a good bow. Besides i can use that money to buy more high dollar NR tags!

2004 Bowtech Patriot. Came with Dusk Devil sight and a Trophy Taker rest, picked it up for 125 bucks. Looks and shoots like brand new,

PSE Firestorm that I got in 2008. I have no plans to replace it anytime soon. It is a great bow. But, my bow before it was a Bear Polar LTD that I got in 1977. :D

2002 Hoyt Cybertech. It has its third sets of sights, 2nd rest and 2nd quiver on it. It also has a 2nd set of limbs. Shoots very well. I just cant seem to part with it. It has been modernized with Black Gold sights, Rip Cord Red Zone rest and a Tight Spot Quiver. Also added a non OYOA sponsor B-Stinger stab on it. It can shoot!

I shoot a switchback but still continue to use my old pse for backup.One thing about these newer
bows is they seem to me to be a little more quiet.That pse I have sounds like a 22 short compared
to my switchback.

I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT, but I also have a Mathews Ultra 2. Like buck23 says, the Switchback is MUCH more quiet.

2011 hoyt carbon elemant and man do I like it! I think that any bow will do as long as a person is comfortable with it.

I shoot an alpine...I think it's a mountain light, I bought it used from a friend before my 9 year old son was born. I better not go into a pro shop, I might talk myself into new tech.

I got a 2003 Bowtech Extreme, I like it shoots real well. I have looked at new bows but can't justify the cost for no real gain. I can get a little more compact and lighter but not gaining any speed or smoothness, so why spend 800 bucks for not much. I had the opportunity to get a 2009 Hoyt Trykon (loaded, case and all set up) like new for 350 but still not any better bow. I did think about it for a spare.

Nice to see people shooting "old tech" as well as the newer stuff. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it (well, I guess I COULD afford it, I just can't JUSTIFY it) I would love to be shooting the newer, faster, quiter bows. The only thing I wish is if my bow was a little quieter.

I was practicing the other day (outsoors) and when shooting the 30 and 40 yard targets, it seemed like an eternity for the arrow to get there! I'm thinking to myself, "...man, if I was a deer and this joker shot at me from that distance with that loud THUNK noise, I'd have plenty of time to jump the arrow..."

Oh well, I still love my bow.

Emrah

Mine is a Darton I picked up in a pawn shop, back sometime around 199X ! Had a cracked riser, so I paid $20 for it. Called Darton, found it was still under Warranty and they replaced it, no charge, with a beautiful laminate.

Started out as a 45% let off, but another call to Darton got me a new set of cams that took it to 60%. ($10) All in all I got about $75 into it.

It's been set at 57 #'s forever,and I find no reson to change it. Every whitetail I've hit has
had a clean pass thru ! :)

I had my mountain - somthing bow for a looooong time. Last year I finally treated myself to a modern compound Fred Bear Strike. - WOW! What a difference! But - It still doesn't do the work for me! What is up with that? Haha!

I had almost the same Nova until this year when I bought myself a new PSE Axe. Like you said, it works great at 20 yards, but a new PSE sure would be nice. :) I found it hard to justify as well because I have been killing deer at 30 and under for 8 years, but would never shoot over 30, now I will do 40 or 50 as this new bow is that much better. I also know exactly what you mean about the arrow seeming slow out of the Nova...I can't believe how much faster the new bow seems. Good luck this season.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back