Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What do you consider "In Shape"?

What do you consider "In Shape" for elk season?

• I run marathons to stay in shape. Maybe even a 50 miler.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • I run 1/2 marathons to stay in shape. I shoot for 13 miles in under 2 hours.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I feel that being able to run 6 miles in an hour or less is in shape.

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • I spend the entire summer hiking and scouting to get in shape. Lots of elevation gains worked in.

Votes: 103 35.8%
  • I don't "work out", but am very active at work. I spend a lot of time outdoors all year long.

Votes: 65 22.6%
  • I feel that being able to jog a couple miles or so means that I'm in shape.

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • In shape, what's that? I'm a couch potato and don't understand why anyone would work out.

Votes: 12 4.2%

• Total voters

npaden

Okay, I'm getting back to working out after my busy season at work and was just wondering what the average hunter considered to be "In Shape".

You have folks like Cameron Hanes who is running 50 mile ultra marathons and other folks that never make it off the couch until it's time to head out to the woods. I'm sure the vast majority of us end up somewhere in the middle.

Thought I would try a quick poll on the subject. I realize I can't put in every option, but please try to pick the option that most closely matches up with what you view to be "In Shape" for elk season.

I have my own thoughts on what I consider to be in shape for me, but I'd like to see what other folks think. I'm thinking specifically of being in "Elk" shape here. Not "Sheep" or "Goat" shape. Also assuming this is DIY elk hunting on public lands, not sitting at a water hole on a private ranch type elk hunting.

Thanks, Nathan

Last edited:
5 to 10 Miles with 40 to 60 lb pack and be able to get up and go again in the morning. I figure I'm about half way there after this long damn winter.

I voted for the summer hiking etc. but I will add that I also spend a lot of time in the gym with weights and cardio. I have never been long distance type of guy but like the variance of lots of different types of exercise.

Hike as much as possible, got some pretty steep stuff close to the house.
Ride the mountain bike some, and do 2-3 free-weight workouts a week.
And oh-ya, not eat like crap!

5 to 10 Miles with 40 to 60 lb pack and be able to get up and go again in the morning. I figure I'm about half way there after this long damn winter.

Yep.
I hunt to get in shape for hunting. Sheds, scouting and hiking. I haven`t ran since the last time I played baseball in high school, don`t ever plan on doing it again unless I`m being chased by something.

Whatever you would call that sad state of physical condition I displayed while sucking air on that black bear hunt last night, is something I need to change ASAP. Driving a desk for the last six months has destroyed an semblance of physical condition.

Excuse me, I will finish this post when I return from DQ.

For me, its a resting heart rate @ or below 60. (Head on pillow heart rate = 47.)

How old are you??? Just wondering how old you guys are that pack those heavy packs 6 miles too.

I am 52 and a heart rate of 90. BP of 130 over 80 when not an mild medication. (heart disease does run in the family). I once thought that being in shape was being 6' 2" and 185 lbs.... well that's not so anymore. The older I get the slower I become & I am still 6' 2" & 185 lbs. As a DVM I stay very active.

Maybe it's time for me to get on some of your exercise plans. Any suggestions on how to start out?

Good luck to all
the dog

I consider myself in shape when my mind says "go up", and my body doesn't argue back.

I've got a little bit of work to do this summer, but staying in the gym during the winter is the only way to go, IMO.

Being in shape for us is being able to hunt 15 straight days of archery elk covering 6-15 miles everyday plus packing elk out on backs as the need arises in that time frame. Anything less & we are not pulling our weight! At 56 I need to train hard & smart to be able to do this & I love doing it knowing what it is all for! You must prep yourself out to do this especially as ones get older, the youth can get away with a lot less! Man I'm jealous! (grin)

ElkNut1

Hey pointingdogsrule - GO CYCLONES! > i gotta leg up on ya as I am 38. (from iowa, graduated ISU, see yer from IA!). As someone said here and I agree, variety is key. PM me and can throw you some ideas and thoughts. I feel most everyone misses the boat to get in shape by not keying in on their diet / nutrition. Everyones needs are different. Fueling the machine is critical. When that is dialed in, your wokouts will be better, energy levels greater and outcome or product better. I am not a suppliment guy either. Eat correctly, and drink pleanty of water. PM me, and I wll send you some elk loin for IA chops! Lets get you off and keep you off those 'mild meds' too.
>>>As soon as the draw comes out, my neck gets swollen and I am prep'ing for 1st season rifle baby! Time is now.

Last edited:
How old are you??? Just wondering how old you guys are that pack those heavy packs 6 miles too.

I am 52 and a heart rate of 90. BP of 130 over 80 when not an mild medication. (heart disease does run in the family). I once thought that being in shape was being 6' 2" and 185 lbs.... well that's not so anymore. The older I get the slower I become & I am still 6' 2" & 185 lbs. As a DVM I stay very active.

Maybe it's time for me to get on some of your exercise plans. Any suggestions on how to start out?

Good luck to all
the dog

I'll be 33 in a couple weeks. In the past year I have dropped almost 30 lbs and I hope to be down another 20 or 30 by the end of summer. the more I lose the more I can put in a pack without noticing as much.

I run marathons, triathlons, ultramarathons, and bike races. Its a sickness just like hunting. When you sit at a desk 9 hours a day you have to do something. The only problem is that its alot of fun and very addicting and before you know it you end up spending hunting money on a new bike or going to a race at pikes peak or lake tahoe. That kind of defeats the purpose. Just last weekend I had to decide whether to go to a 2 day bike race or to KS Turkey hunting. It was a tough decision until I thought about it. I went to KS and whacked 2 gobblers. I started all this to stay in shape for hunting tough Mtn hunts. Sometimes the races get in the way.

I treat every day like a hunt. I get up at 4:30 and bike, run or swin for an hour. That allows me to maintain my weight at the same I was in my 20's (now 47) and eat anyting thing I want and drink a few Barley Pops in the process.

Thanks for the votes and replies everyone.

The results ended up pretty close to what I expected. I actually expected a few more hardcore extreme type folks and maybe a few less sit on the couch type folks though.

My thoughts are that running 6 miles in an hour is a pretty good balance between cardio and endurance and gives you a pretty good guide to being in shape. I don't have the luxury of mountains within 300 miles of my house so going on big hikes isn't something I can do on a regular basis. I live at 3,000' elevation so at least I've got a leg up on the sea level folks though!

If I ever draw a sheep or goat tag I think the 1/2 marathon runs are what I would need to shoot for.

I stay in shape year around. I carry a 40 pound pack 25 to 30 miles per week in my job. My best fitness is in the winter from staying on snowshoes until spring....I cant imagine going on an extreme hunt out of shape.

At 56 I have to work hard to stay in shape since I sit on my butt most of the day. Besides hiking through the woods I use the P90X routine my son got me for Xmas it is a good varied workout.

No gyms for me. I have a very fast pack of Black and Tans and between chasing cats all winter and coon hunting most of the summer, then throw in big game seasons I have not been really out of shape for a few years now. At my age I don't dare to get out of shape, because I might not never get back in shape!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back