Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rifle/caliber recomendation for Kodiak bear

I'm thinking a Beowolf on an AR platform might be the ticket.

BTW is there really 37,000 hits on this thread???

At short to medium range the .50 Beowolf should be a real stopper. I've heard that ammo/reloading components have been hard to come by so you might want to check it out before you buy.
Now 37,001.

The woman is using my 325WSM, I'll be packing my 338-06AI. I think we'll be just fine.

The more I talk to people who've been there done that... the more I realize there is more hype than reality when it comes to hunting the big bears. I'd rather spend my money on a plane ride to hunt sheep than on another rifle... I have too many as it is. ;)

bambi..shame on you. I've got my wife convinced there's no such thing as too many rifles.

The more I talk to people who've been there done that... the more I realize there is more hype than reality when it comes to hunting the big bears.

Naw, that couldn't be the case! Everybody knows that a .243 isn't a good deer rifle, .270's won't kill elk, and any bullets less than .375 cal bounce off bears!

I think I'll take my chances... I have a 375, but don't want to ruin it in the salt. Might be my famous last words.

I have more rifles than I can use in a year or two, just don't have a reason to buy another or build one.

I talked at length with a very good and highly experienced Alaskan bear guide and he told me most guys will shoot something in that range (Kimber Montana 338) actually anything in the 30 range. He says they prefer the clients shoot something they are very comfortable with instead of the really big calibers. He stated the guides carry the 416's and heavy stoppers.

He also stated the boat trips are the better value.

And yes, no wood because you will be wet all the time.

Good luck and make sure and post results, wish it were me.

Thanks for teh well wishes... its an OYO adventure no guide for backup, just me and the woman on a 10 day bear killing adventure on the south end of Kodiak.

416 Taylor hands down. You need bullet weight to slow down a 1200-1500 beast. Leave the light weight super velocity magnum at home when you hunt Kodiak.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back