MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifle/caliber recomendation for Kodiak bear

Gay like Zoro or gay like Liberace?

Big wide bullet over a pointy one for in close. Go with the less gay DG round, if you need to worry about it.

Gay like Dinkshooter gay...

I thought about the RM, but I can build a Taylor for less, and standard lenth SS actions are pretty easy to come by, vs the 'mag' length or modifying a standard to fit the RM. The diffrence is not enough to worry about IMO.

Maybe Calvin will sell me his? Seems he has no use for it anymore. :D

I'll stick with the 200 grain Accubonds.

Thanks for the link Calvin.

Performance is a step up with a RUM over the Taylor? How so?

416 Taylor is slow. 338 RUM is fast. Bullets like to stay in bears with the Taylor. I've seen/used them both. Give me the 338RUM.

Gay like Dinkshooter gay...

I thought about the RM, but I can build a Taylor for less, and standard lenth SS actions are pretty easy to come by, vs the 'mag' length or modifying a standard to fit the RM. The diffrence is not enough to worry about IMO.

Maybe Calvin will sell me his? Seems he has no use for it anymore. :D

that Model 70 might have the room for a RM. The RM has a COL of 3.6 and the Taylor has a COL of 3.34. The big selling point on the Model 70 was that it could be chambered in the "Super 30" cartridge (300 H&H). That COL is 3.600.

Either way, a 400 grain bullet at 2350 FPS inside of 50 yards is going to stop anything that gets in it's way. Cool project. Go with the Taylor.

Member "BW" uses a 416 Taylor built on a Model 70. I know he's used his to kill black bears. Not sure if he killed a brown with it yet. He's be a good source of info! Because of him, I bought my 416 Taylor, built on a Mouser action. I gave it to a buddy a few years ago, because it stayed in the safe. I still have my dies if you build one. I'll let ya have them cheap.

416 Taylor is slow. 338 RUM is fast. Bullets like to stay in bears with the Taylor. I've seen/used them both. Give me the 338RUM.

Thats intresting. The Taylor is only 100-150fps behind the RM. Which seems to blow through all kinds of chit.

What kind of bears and what kind of bullets were you shooting?

I've recovered my share of 375 bullets as well.

Watters got 2500 fps w/ a 400 grn pill in a 416 Taylor. That's faster than the Rigby, and as much as the RM.

I shot a grizzly with a 300 win mag 150 win XP3 and it knocked him down and left him there and i would feel fine about doing it again. shoot straight and good luck !!

I shot a grizzly with a 300 win mag 150 win XP3 and it knocked him down and left him there and i would feel fine about doing it again. shoot straight and good luck !!

A grizz or a Kodiak?

I had a pretty extended chat with a fellow last spring who had been in on over 60 Kodiak kills. He is firmly in the camp of bigger is better. He also is a firm believer of the 'double tap'. I have zero experience with big bears, and take this guys experience as he being propbably one of the most knowledgeable guides in the industry. Pretty easy to take a bigger rifle and have peiece of mind than use something I'd consider marginal.

The same guide mentioned that about 80% of the time the bear will make it to the alders before it dies... if it dies from the first shot, most required a second. The lesson learned from that... don't shoot at one unless you can get a second into him before he hits the alders. I don't expect it to flip over dead right there, but hope it does. I just want to be prepared.

Last edited:
Congrats on the tag Ivan.

Hope you guys have fun and find a big one and whack it with whatever rifle you decide to build.

Myself, I'd probably get a 338 win or a 375 HH with Partitions and practice a lot.

IIRC, Mr Jake totes a 416 Rem and finds it very effective.

If your shooting a cannon you might as well go for the 416. Depending on the area I've heard it take two shots. The first shot you fire into the air and it chumms the bear in. The second shot is for self defense. Good luck.

Check out the fricken 416 Barrett.... I think if you even hit the dirt somewhere NEAR the bear all will be ok!! (400 grain bullet at 3200 fps.... Ouch!)

I wouldn't be scared to take my 06'... but if I had a 416 that I felt good with, I'd like it better....

I'm a fan of the .308 family, so I'd probably pick up something in .338 Federal or .358 Win.

Tikka or Kimber for a .338, or a M77 in .358.

The .358 Winchester is a great round...one of my favorites. I've taken several big bears with it using a Winchester 88.

+1 for a .338 Win Mag. I've never hunted Brownies, but I did topple a 500+ , B&C black bear, on the White Mountain Reservation. The hit completely took him off his feet about a foot into the air, and gave him a 180 flip ! DRAMATIC. I'd never flinch for a nano-second, to carry one for Brownies. (P.S. Go stainless)

You blew one off his feet and flipped him over? Maybe I should look into a 338? .

How many and how big where the bears you shot with your 358?

So you think stainless is the way to go?

Last edited:
Stainless has its place, as long as you still do the maintenance. I had a kimber 30-06 stainless and in the house, you mentioned rain and it would rust. It didnt impress me any, but it has a following.

I prefer coated chrome moly guns myself. Was ona 10 day sheep hunt this past fall and it rained everyday, my old 30-06 (blued) still looks good. Grant it its not the salty moisture but I tried to take care of it.

That being said, kodiak is hard on equipment. Stainless (if its done right) does give you that little edge for protection.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back