MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Side arm preference?

i carry a S&W 329 PD Alaska Backpacker....superlightweight for a .44 (which is good and bad) reliable and as compact as you can get for an N frame S&W

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 438
When I am hunting out west I carry my S&W Mountain Gun 44 mag with 4" barrel. When I am hunting whitetails in my home state of Texas I carry my Kimber 1911 45 ACP, unless I am actually handgun hunting, in which case I carry and hunt with my S&W 460XVR with 3x7 scope.

S$W BG.380 with critical defense rounds thats all I carry anything bigger seems like a pain.

Been packin' a Taurus .357, 4" since the days I was cruising the AZ deserts, at night, back in the mid 80's. Never really felt anything was any better than what I already had.

I picked up a Taurus Judge .45 / .410 . I tried a thigh holster... not a good idea, side hilling. Mother In law is fabricating something up for attachement to my main pack, belt and shoulder/hip pack.
Holster placement / weight are the considerations for back country use. I expected / anticipated the weight... really not a problem though the placement - that seems to be the issue... Hell though, more than enough to take care of business...
Haha! NHY!, You anticipating some mangy varmint entering your house? - God forgive that person! ;) Very nice setup!

This seems like a good combo if you wanted to wack a few grouse too. I ran across a few of these for sale recently and was considering one.

A 357 would not stop a charging grizzly unless you hit him in the head or heart. For big game I'm picking a Smith and Weston 44 with 6 inch barrel. For home a Sig 45 but i have always liked the Ruger or Smith 38

I carry a .9 now in the field because no griz and am able to hit what I am shooting at. Practice and take a class, you will find out just how much you don't know. I did. Always room for learning.

A 357 would not stop a charging grizzly unless you hit him in the head or heart.

Not saying it would... There is not a handgun in production that will stop a charging grizzly absent a shot to the head or spine. Those are really the only two options... Any other shot placement may kill the bear, but not until well after its had time to wreak havoc.

Is the "Taurus Model 445 Ultra-Lite Handgun" worth anything for grizzly bear protection. The price is right but does it have the knock down power?

Is the "Taurus Model 445 Ultra-Lite Handgun" worth anything for grizzly bear protection. The price is right but does it have the knock down power?

.44spl would definitely not be my first choice for a bear... In a 2" barrel, I don't think I'd trust anything short of .44Mag for bear.

I carry a S&W Model 327TRR8 in the field 5" 8 shot .357Mag full of 180gr Buffalo Bore. I will say, first line of defense for bears should be (and for me is) BEAR SPRAY! Statistically and practically, its more effective at stopping charging bears.

The Wheelgun is a last line of defense, and should the need arise, I'd have no qualms following up a wounded blacky or hunting a blacky with it.

When I am shed hunting or just out hiking, I carry my 44 mag Vaquero. It isn't the quickest or most powerful, but I feel like I shoot it well.

I spend quite a bit of time bowhunting and fishing in Griz country. I saw 2 Grizzlies this summer on the South Fork of the Madison. During those times I carry bear spray, which is lighter, more convenient, and has a higher probability of being effective while at the same time providing a non lethal outcome for Mr. griz.

Attachments

• vaquero.JPG
    vaquero.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I have 2 .44 mag Vaquero's as well (one with a 5 1/2 in barrel, one with a 4 5/8 in barrel). They are fun. They handle recoil very well - I can shoot 300 gr hardcast Garrett rounds without an issue. Some .44's I've shot (namely the S&W titanium model) seem to pack more punch to the shooter.

Most important characteristic in any carry weapon is your proficiency with said carry weapon. If you can't (or haven't) shot it, don't carry it.

I've been happy with this gun. Kimber CDPII .45 with 7 in it holds 9

i carry a Dan wesson 357 8 inc barrel,in bear country the only pistole i would feel comfortable using would be a SW 500 with buffalo bore ammo.
bear country is rifle country,not pistole country.:hump:

I have a Glock 36 slimline, .45 that I plan on taking with me on my next hunt. The only negative I have with it is capacity is only 6 + 1 in chamber.

I usually carry my Taurus Judge. I am in Arizona and having some 410's comes in handy when a rattlesnake doesn't give you a warning until you are too close to back up and go around. I have only had to dispatch 1 with extreme prejudice using the Judge so far and it was done after 1 shot. It took 4 rounds from a 9mm to get the job done on a different occasion. So 45 LC's and 410's are a good combo for me.

I carry a whole S%^T TON of round house kicks in my holster!! Nothing gets past this guy! If by any chance something occurs in the home, I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag. with a 9 1/2" barrel to great any special guests.

I have the same gun. It weighs about the same as my boat anchor. I put some 300 grain buffalo bore hard cast in it and ...WOW, does it pack a punch! I just don't know if I would be able to carry it around. I'd probably end up leaving it in camp, and then I'm sure I would need it, but wouldn't have it. ��

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back