MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Side arm preference?

My vote is a 329pd. Very lightweight and easy to carry. Now shooting it on the other hand is pretty harsh, but I have heard a saying that hold true for most folks " You carry a pistol 95% of the time and shoot it only 5% of the time so get something that you can carry alot. ".

I know in the FPI tests a simple 40 cal outperforms a .357 mag in penetration and wound channel when going through 2 layers of denim and into ballistic gell. Add a glock to the mix and you get 15 rounds. So if you ever get attacked by a ballistic gelatin grizzly wearing 2 layers of denim go for the 40 cal.

What if he's wearing a hoody to?

In 95 I was charged by a sow griz, and drew a Glock 10mm, never fired. By the end of the next year I had 3 friends who had to kill bears in self defense, all within a few miles of where I had my encounter - 357, 44mag, and .308 rifle. I was scared and thought I needed "bigger" so I bought a .44 629 S&W. 3 years later I was carrying nothing because it was too damn heavy to pack around. About 5 years ago I bought a S&W airlight 357 with the scadnium/titanium. Spendy and painful to shoot with high velocity .357 loads. My son can shoot it with .38 special. It will work as well as anything bigger, as it will reach the brain and spine. I'm sure pepper spray works fine for bluff charges and for those who don't mind being mauled a little. If something is biting me, I'm pressing a gun to it's head.

hmmm,Greenhorn,sounds like Beaver Creek to me.If so ,thats a spooky place to hunt solo,been there,done that.

I don't remember what this thing weighs but when I did the research and bought it, I thought it was really light for a .44. The ports do keep the muzzle jump down. I have emptied the cylinder pretty fast and put them all in a basket ball sized target before. I imagine it is pretty loud without ear plugs. I doubt that would be a concern when a grizz is chewing on your head. I only carry it when I am in Alaska.

P1030046.jpg

P1030045.jpg

When hog hunting I carry a Springfield XDm .40 S&W. It holds 17 rounds to compensate for my poor pistol shooting! ;)

I started with a Taurus 4" .357 when I was in AZ, more for self-protection againt Bad Guys than mean critters. Then I got a Ruger Blackhawk .44. Too heavy, sold it. Back with the Taurus. Always wanted to try a .41 though.....

Sooooooo. Is a 9mm considered a weapon for a woooseee? I don't have one but I am in the market for a side arm to carry while bowhunting and to have under the matteres at home. I have never been or have any current plans to be in grizzley country. Mainly just in the badlands and CO.

Is there much if any difference between a 9mm and a .40?

Thanks for some help on this subject that I am clueless on. Momma says we should have a pistol under the bed and I am happy to ablidge her request.

9mm would be fine for home defense. The ammo for 9mm is cheaper and you can fit more rounds in a magazine, but .40 S&W has more "pop". Most police use .40 S&W, FBI often use 10mm, wussies use 9mm. :D

My policeman friend always jokes that any meth-head could run through a 9mm and not even know he was hit until the high wore off so he packs a .45.

Thanks for the help guys.

Today I decided on the Taurus millenium .45. The gun feels really good in the hand and I am excited to try her out.

Personally I'd not even remotely consider a 9...a 40 yeah a 357 with good hard cast yes but not a 9.

I have a compact .357, but I rarely ever carry it with it me.
During archery season it stays in the truck, figure I`d grab it for return trips to get meat in grizzly country.

Here's another vote for the S&W 329 PD. With 300 gr hot loads it barks a little, but you can practice with lighter loads. At 26 oz, you will never mind carrying it. That said, if you want more horsepower and don;t mind carrying the weight, get a S&W 500 in the 4 inch version. The 440 gr hard cast loads are incredible. Since it has a muzzlebreak, the recoil is similar to a hot 44 mag load. I'v had the 4, the 8 3/8 and the 10 1/2 inch barreled versions, and the 4 inch is by far the best for carrying.

Anyone see the new poly 2.5" taurus judge? Gunbroker.com list avg $400. Just after I purchased my judge anchor weighted piece... going to sell her and get this

That would def. pack a whollop for its size. Can't own in the people’s republic of Kalifornia though as its .410 compatible :rolleyes: Ugly lil' fugger though!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back