Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Side arm preference?

dcrow02s

Just curious if you carry a side arm with you what is it? Never felt the need to carry a side arm in the woods but that was before grizzly/cat country. Really thinking about picking up a new side arm to carry in the field. Just thought it would be nice to know what most guys do.
Thanks -Dave

I carry a S&W K frame SS .357 with a 4" barrel. Probably a little light for grizzly, but excellent for most other medium size animals, especially with Barnes copper TSX bullets. It's legal here in Illinois for deer hunting. I usually carry Speer shot capsules for snakes. If I was in bear country, I'd probably go for an N frame .41 or .44. I don't see much point in the huge calibers.

I carry a S&W K frame SS .357 with a 4" barrel. .

Probably the perfect, all around, do everything hand gun.
Simple, powerful, accurate, reliable.

If somebody wants to own one handgun that will do just about everything, a 4" S&W MD 66 is about as close as you can get.

I carry a Taurus Tracker .44 mag. It is a 5 shot, SS, the size of a K or L frame, 4" barrel. I have had it for several years and shoot it regularly. It is very accurate and has proven to be very reliable. It won't shoot the heaviest loads like a Ruger, but mine is more accurate than my Ruger Bisley. I was worried about buying the Taurus because I always heard they were cheaply made, but mine has proven to be a great gun. My son has one also, his is just as accurate and reliable. It is easy to carry because of it's small size. And it is legal to hunt with in North Carolina and Colorado, although I just carry it as a sidearm. But, you can't go wrong with a S&W or Ruger either. I own all three brands.

P229 barrelled for 40 S&W (have the 357 Sig barrel also) w/ a 19lb return spring, mercury filled guide rod, and lazer grips.

I picked up a Taurus Judge .45 / .410 . I tried a thigh holster... not a good idea, side hilling. Mother In law is fabricating something up for attachement to my main pack, belt and shoulder/hip pack.
Holster placement / weight are the considerations for back country use. I expected / anticipated the weight... really not a problem though the placement - that seems to be the issue... Hell though, more than enough to take care of business...
P229 barrelled for 40 S&W (have the 357 Sig barrel also) w/ a 19lb return spring, mercury filled guide rod, and lazer grips.
Haha! NHY!, You anticipating some mangy varmint entering your house? - God forgive that person! ;) Very nice setup!

Last edited:
Sytes- the placement and weight were also of my main concern. I don't think the thigh holster would be best option for the type climbing/hilling crap I seem to get myself into. It seems as though most prefer a revolver in at least a .357. For those who do carry a handgun is this something you always have on you in the woods?

Haha! NHY!, You anticipating some mangy varmint entering your house?

Urban critters are more of a concern. Been mulling a .45 also...like my LEO buds say, "two is one....one is none.";)

...coincidentally, had to meet officers at our office/wharehouse last night at 2 am....someone jacked our gate and threw a piece of firewood thru our entry door sidelight.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

If you want to stop a charging grizz I'd recommend a sawed off 12 guage....not too practicle in most cases. Most guys I know carry .41 or .44 mag for grizz. A think a .357 mag is a bit lite for grizz but would sure do an attitude adjustment on a grizz.

If you want to stop a charging grizz I'd recommend a sawed off 12 guage....not too practicle in most cases. Most guys I know carry .41 or .44 mag for grizz. A think a .357 mag is a bit lite for grizz but would sure do an attitude adjustment on a grizz.

No chit! In all honesty, the way I shoot a sidearm, I would hit a griz in the arse and really get him mad at me.

I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag in a shoulder holster (need traction to straighten your back out if you use a hip holster) and pepper spray...still don't know which one I'll pull if it ever comes to it. My GREAT PLAN is pull the pepper spray and if that doesn't work the .44. Ha ha, like I'd have time for that plan.

I carry a Glock .45 with a 13 round mag. I shoot Buffalo Bore ammo in it, which is the hardest hitting stuff around.

Will it stop a griz? I'm not completely sure it would, but the Glock has always been my last line of defense. I figure if anything, once the thing gets me on the ground and is slobbering all over me, I can just jam the barrel into its side and rip off 13 rounds in a few seconds.

One of these days I'll upgrade. I have my eye on one of the S&W .44s with the scandium frame. Those things are light...and spendy.

SS 357 4" taurus for me, too. Seems like it fits my hand better than some of the other candidates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back