Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dying Breed

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  60.5 KB

Marlin 57m, 22 wmr. I shoot this more than any of my long guns. The very short lever throw is unique.

I had a buddy with a Henry levergun shoot a hole through the rear windshield of my pickup about 2 foot from my head a couple years back . Havent really had the interest to touch one since.

Shot a few early on but felt too many moving parts to ever be as accurate as Mauser action. I also like pointy bullets more for accuracy than round-nosed. Fun to play the Rifleman, though.

Living in Ohio, for now, I'm limited as to rifle options (straight wall cartridges only). Fortunately I once lived in Florida and chased pigs with a vengeance.

Thus my Ruger 66 44 Mag. Great little lever rifle to climb into a blind, or sneak around the swamp with.

It's the rifle my Dad (RIP) used to notch the tag on his last big game freezer filler!
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

30-30 Winchester was my first deer rifle (bought it with my paper route money, much to my mom's chagrin - after all it was she who said if you want to buy a rifle get a job and earn it). And I bought a Henry's 22 Golden Boy a few years ago, after getting some feed issues straightened out, it's one of the most fun way to burn through a couple of boxes of 22 shells I know.

Quote Originally Posted by isu22andy View Post
    I had a buddy with a Henry levergun shoot a hole through the rear windshield of my pickup about 2 foot from my head a couple years back . Havent really had the interest to touch one since.
    You need to avoid that buddy more than that style of rifle.

My grandfather bought both my little brother and I a Winchester model 94 when we were born and that was our 16th birthday present (legal age to hunt deer at the time) I still have it and still like to take it out every now and then.

I have had several over the years,from a Win '92 in 32/20 to the one that is always in my truck, a Win '94 in 30-30.
    Took my 1st dozen or so bucks,2 bulls & dozens of pigs with it.
    I think I need a Henry in 44 or a 45/70.............for the reason NHY stated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123