Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dying Breed

I always bring my Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin as my back up rifle for elk season.

Newer lever action... Browning BLR, .300WSM, had it for 4 years and will use it for another 40

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBLR View Post
    Newer lever action... Browning BLR, .300WSM, had it for 4 years and will use it for another 40
    That sounds like a nice weapon right there stud.

Quote Originally Posted by putm2sleep View Post
    That sounds like a nice weapon right there stud.
    It's an amazing rifle! Hopefully I won't need it and can find a bull to get with my bow! Had a couple close calls so far... have you been out at all?

my son killed a cow elk with his opensighted 30-30 last fall

I have always had a thing for levers. Right now I have 3. A Browning BLR 81 in .308 (bought it when I was 12, have taken countless Deer, Elk and Antelope with it). A .444 Marlin (only shot paper) and a Rossi .45 LC (modeled after the Winchester Model 1892).

I still use the BLR81 for Deer and Antelope, but retired it from Elk (moved on to a 300 WM and 338 WM)

Marlin 1894c year model 1977. .357 mag. Hunt with it to this day for whitetail in the mountains.
    Bear Mountain Mike

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nidahunter View Post
    I have a winchester 30-30, and my favorite gun so far is a Marlin .444. I have my sights set on the 308 marlin express. Have you taken anything with your 338? How were the Lever revelution bullets?
    My bruthah.....
    As my moniker suggests, I've got a 444. JM Stamped, micro groove. I love it--it's the last gun my dad gifted me after I begged for a gun for thick-timber elk hunts. It shoots the Hornady 265gr flat points into tiny groups at 100yds, and is just plain cool.

I also have an original Winchester 71 in .348 that my brother in law gave me, and a Winchester 88 in .243 that my brother gifted me this past Christmas, as I'm the "gun-guy" of the family.

Edited to add: Also had a Savage 99 in .300 Savage that my dad had bought from his late friend. No longer have it as I was able to gift that to our late friend's son this past Christmas. It ended back in its rightful place with an heir. That was a pretty special moment for me.
    Last edited by the444shooter; 03-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.

I own only 4 multishot lever guns and compete with three of them. They hunt too.

I have a bunch of single shot lever guns too, but they are probably not what you had in mind.

10. Default

I a BLR lightweight in 325 wsm, and 2 savage 99's, one in 303 british and one in 300 savage

My grandfather always had his 30/30 with him in his truck. I do not know how many deer laid victim to that rifle. He is gone now and the rifle is with my uncle. I hope ND will someday have some extra doe tags again I would like to shoot a deer with that rifle one day.
    What we do in life... echoes in eternity...

I've shot several deer with my Marlin-Glenfield 30-30 and on a rare occasion I carry a Marlin SBL in 45-70. I cast bullets for both though haven't seriously invested time into load development. My goal is to hunt dark timber elk with the guide gun and am proficient out to 200 yards with it.

I use a 444 Marlin lever gun in Ohio. I own a 30/30 but havent shot it or hunted with it since I
    Got my first bolt action in the late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeflies View Post
    Does anyone here still lever action rifles? I bought a 338MXLR last year and think its the best rifle I have ever owned. I know, I know. You always love the last rifle you buy the best, but thats not true. I have bought another rifle since and sold it due to the fact I just like the lever action rifle more. I am a Cowboy at heart and just love the old westerns and the rifles and maybe thats why, but I just wanted to know if I am a dying breed or what?
    I use this exact rifle. Had a 30-30 since I was a kid and couldn't resist buying this one when they came out. Bought mine the year they were released and it has a lot of miles and blood on it since. Honestly, one of the best shooting rifles I own. Everyone at the range is always amazed at its accuracy when sighting-in before rifle season. I use the factory Hornady loads in mine.

Looking at trying the Browning BLR in 300 Win Mag soon. I'll be dropping by Shedhorn Sports in Ennis soon to get one ordered - unless they have one in-stock. Just like my lever rifles.
    Living in the "Last Best Place" - Montana
    Acts 2:38 - For honest truth-seekers, there is only one way.
    Inner Man Radio - Targeting Truth

I deer hunt with a marlin 1895 45-70. No tracking required. Everybody ought to have a lever action. They just have that "it" factor.
    The day I stop hunting is the day I stop breathing.

You can't eat antlers!!!

16. Default

I got a Winchester 1872 in 32-20 that I hunt with on occasion and I also have an 1894 in 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeflies View Post
    I just bought a Marlin 30-30 & I am tring to work out a deal for another Marlin Zane Grey w/octagon barrel. God I hope my wife does not read this...She will be MAD.
    If I may quote Han Solo: "Women always find out the truth. Always."

18. Default

I have a Ithaca model 72 saddle gun.22. I've had this gun for 40 years. A lot of squirrels and rabbits have fallen to this little LA.

I hunt deer in Ohio with an original 1893 Marlin in .38-55. Its a family gun and will never leave my hands....

Love the old lever guns!!!

There's the ole gal in the background
    Name:  IMG_2352.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  207.1 KB
    Last edited by Four22; 03-16-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Want...just because.

Name:  henry.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  261.5 KB

I have killed several deer with a Marlin .444. I love hunting with that gun. I have a picture of it somewhere if I can find it.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

22. Default

BLR-.308......... Those words when said together, even sound "right". Though it has been some time since I have leveled her at a deer. She'll be come West this fall even if only as back-up!

A month ago I purchased my first lever action! It's a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, it was a one owner rifle, and to my surprise had never been fired. I ran the serial numbers to find out it was produced in the early 80's, has the JM stamped micro-groove barrel on it. I have yet to shoot it, been busy collecting ammo for it, but that day will come!

I took my dad's old Marlin 336 in 35Rem on a bear hunt a couple of years back. And my first gun was a lever.

25. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bdidaho View Post
    Winchester 32 special here. Don't hunt with it anymore but it is fun to shoot.
    I just missed out on one of these. I shot one once what a hoot to shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast