Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

"True Grit"

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone see this one yet?

I still remember John Wayne's version and watched it many times as a kid. Wife knows the only time she will get me to a movie theater is when a good western or war movie is playing. Since the office is closed tomorrow, I committed to attending the matinee with her and watching True Grit.

Wondered if any of you have seen it, and what you thought of it.

Wife and I just did. A must see...should make an awards haul. Usual Coen brilliance. Sad to say but Bridges gives the Duke a run for the money...Texas Ranger Damon beats the crap out of Campbell and Mattie Ross's character purt near steals the show.

Wife and I just did. A must see...should make an awards haul. Usual Coen brilliance. Sad to say but Bridges gives the Duke a run for the money...Texas Ranger Damon beats the crap out of Campbell and Mattie Ross's character purt near steals the show.

Never could figure out how Glen Campbell got into the movie industry, and then there was Ricky Nelson! Glad to hear it's a winner; we've been needing a good western for some time.

I'm excited to see it. Last great western I saw was Open Range.

Sad, but true. After a long day for both of us.... My wife had brought home a new in the package VHS (for you youngens' it is a movie on tape) of Rooster Cogburn from the thrift store at the office where she works. Watched it and realized how much blood and gore have gone into movies since then to make sales.
We have talked about going to see the new True Grit so may have to, even though.
NHY-
Ya, can you believe Ricky Nelson and Glen Campbell? Hmmm, are you aging yourself?

I've been looking forward to this one all year. Can't wait.

I will be interested to see more reviews of this. We were just talking about this at work the other day and my thoughts were that some flicks should never be remade and this was one of them. I can see doing a remake because of better special effects but a western really doesn't fall under that bill.

I usually don't go to movies, but I really wanted to see this one. I was very impressed with Jeff Bridges, I almost thought it was a sin to remake true grit... I'm glad they did!

Seeing it tomorrow. I have heard it was a must see from some friends... Judging by the posts here - seems I will not be disappointed.

"That's bull talk for a one eyed fat man" Rooster says "Fill your hands you son-of-a-bitch". Is this line used in the new movie. If it was, I might have to see it. One of my all time favorites.
Another great line was, "If they ain't careful they might find me". Loved it.

One of my favorites as well, which is why I'm still on the fence whether I wanna see it or not. But I'll probably go this weekend.

Well, here's my take:

I got my girl Cristal to pick up a copy of the original so that we could view it before the new one came out. I enjoy a quality movie and often research the subject matter before seeing it. Heck, I research everything! We sat down and watched it with my 73 year old parents in the house that I grew up in and saw the movie for the first time back in the day. It was as good as I remembered it, and does have that very famous and favorite line where Rooster takes the reins in his mouth and works that ole' loop lever and sixgun while chargin' in on the bad guys. Ya gotta love it!

I too have been skeptical in the past and even with this movie, but it is actually a form of flattery to be redone, I think. I mean, I would not even look at "Walk the Line" for the longest, my attitude being "who could ever play Johnny Cash?" But I finally saw it and was quite entertained as well as impressed with the performances of many of the cast. Jeff Bridges is a truly talented guy, but he certainly had his work cut out for him. How do you follow The Duke? My biggest question has been whether the atmosphere of the Colorado high country will be captured as it was in the original. I think it's great to have these old movies remade, but then I am straight up Old School in a lot of ways.

Hope to see it soon.
Jeff

I just watched it. Great movie! Its been a while since I watched the original.

If you ever get the yearnings to watch a really good western, try to find a copy of "Monty Walsh"; main character played by Lee Marvin. Not the remake; the original. This was a gem of a movie and never did much at the box office, but in my opinion was the best performance ever put out by Lee Marvin.

I am looking forward to seeing it. But, it's gonna have to be good to beat Robert Duval in a western. John

Barry Pepper (the sniper from Saving Private Ryan) , unregognizeable due to realistic 19th century oral hygene, is Duval's Ned Pepper (Coen irony)....doesn't disappoint.

Mattie (Haille Steinfeld) was selected from a casting call of 14,000...she is an instant star.

schmalts; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

My wife and I went to see True Grit yesterday. Being a huge John Wayne fan, I had the benefit of having read the original novel by Charles Portis some years ago. My view of the film was intended to be through that lense and not a "remake" per se of the original. I was very impressed with the straight forward adaptation of the novel and thought this was a pretty darn good western. My wife looked at it as a straight re-make and was disappointed.

I give it three out of four stars! I would recommend to anyone to see this film.

Finns going to a movie? You fellas better write this down. I know that he isn't much of a movie goer and hopefully he'll have some "one liners" to share out of this movie. I guess I'll have to watch it or he'll be giving me the one liners and I'll have no clue. He knows Tombstone well:D

One of my favorite westerns is Conager. Full of one liners but isn't a blood and guts movie. I like Sam Elliot.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back