PEAX Equipment

Lion Pics

February and march the biggest of cats show up, still lots of time

I've heard that before.... Why is that? Is it because the bigger cats are still up higher now and have to come down to hunt or does it have to do with mating?

great photos!!!!!! what makes a good cat i know size is one of them but how do you judge them? on head size or size of body? just interested in how you tell its the cat that needs to be shot....

I've heard that before.... Why is that? Is it because the bigger cats are still up higher now and have to come down to hunt or does it have to do with mating?

I am no expert! I think there are a number of reasons. There are always the stubborn deer and moose that stay high espicially mule deer. Why come running to the wintering range with all the competition and hounds running all over? Usually by late winter, early spring we have had several freeze and thaws. The game can walk on the hard crust and make there way down to the winter range. Its seems all the animals hit the lowest point about this time awaiting spring green up and not far behind calving/fawning. I think breeding may play a roll in this as well? Lions breed at any given time but I think there is a peek in the breeding around then. I know when you find a large tom and a female running together you almost always catch the female and the tom sneeks out the back door! If you look in the record books you will find most of the real big lions have been taken in late feb and march. These are only my observations and thoughts and like I said earlier I am no expert just a guy with a passion for the hounds and the places and things they show me!

Last edited:
Man that is awesome one of my goals is to do a lion hunt in the near future I think they are one of the mos magnificent animals in the world they are beautiful for sure.

Incredible pics thanks for sharing!

A cat hunt is one of very few hunts that I wouldn't hesitate to pay for.

Great looking black & tans and blue dog. We used to coon hunt with b&t and its was lots of fun, until we jumped a bobcat or grey fox and we couldn't catch our dogs until daybreak. Before tracking collars. Where are the black & tans from? Looking at starting to run hounds agaib since I'm living in Montana now and have winters off. Preston

The blue dog reminds me of the ole blue jet dog when I ukc hunted. But those pics are amazing nice work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back