Any Trad. Archers Here?

I'm a trad hunter--longbow and recurve. I love to hunt hogs. All my shots have bee at 10 yds or less this year. That's what I call exciting!

I have a VERY successful bow hunting friend who once said this........................... "I'll start hunting with a recurve when I am done killing chit".:D:

You tradi guys are a little touched in the head. Although, it seems the ones having the most fun at 3d shoots are the Tradi guys.

LOL @Dink. I shot trad for about 5 years. I killed my Shiras bull and a cow elk, along with a bunch of grouse and squirrels with my recurve. I was pretty proud of those accomplishments, but after passing on the second big bull that would have been killable with a compound, I decided I haven't killed enough elk with the bow to make it harder than it has to be. I still like shooting the bow though.

Ya, I am here in Wisconsin. Shooting a longbow and recurve. After watching a compound arrow flinger shoot a caribou through the guts at (a self proclaimed) 106 yards I realized how important it is to the hunter and the animal to aquire death morally. Same goes for cross guns. Maybe when I am 75 years old (65 now) I will need to cheat on the draw (or lower the bow weight).

Maybe when I am 75 years old (65 now) I will need to cheat on the draw (or lower the bow weight).

Or when you eye sight goes and you can't scratch in the leaves for 15 minutes looking for arrows behind targets anymore:D

I'm at Trad hunter from Maryland, hunted trad most of my life. Shot a compound for about four years, then gave the compound away and went back to Trad. I haven't looked back since. Shot a bison with my R/D longbow last year. I'll stick with trad, and I carry alot less equipment with trad and the bows are alot lighter when doing stalking.

I shoot a recurve and a compound. I like going after rabbits and small game with the recurve. I also like the recurve for travelling since it's a take down model. But, I do use my compound on big game most of the time

I'm curious what traditional really is? The first thought that comes to mind is.homemade bows and arrows made out of alder and cedar with a deer sinew string and broadheads made out of rocks. Am I close? I'm bored with compound and am thinking of taking it up.:)

I'm curious what traditional really is? The first thought that comes to mind is.homemade bows and arrows made out of alder and cedar with a deer sinew string and broadheads made out of rocks. Am I close? I'm bored with compound and am thinking of taking it up.:)

If you are bored try shooting those geese with your compound bow. Just don't shoot straight up in the air. :D

Have been shooting recurve and wood shafts my whole life. Never saw any advantage to going hi-tech for myself. My wife however shoots modern and loves it because she doesn't have to practice year round to keep her edge. If you want to be consistant with the trad, gear you gotta shoot, shoot ,shoot or when the chips are down, you will be wishing you had those sights and 80% let off.

Just this evening I met a guy who has killed, moose, griz, and sheep with his recurve. Yote Robertson is his name and he and his sister just opened a traditional shop in Lewistown. Very nice young guy. Great shop.

Traditionally, I shoot my bow, more so when the weather gets better.
Traditionally, I set my stands a month in advance.
Traditionally, I scout several weeks before the opener.
Traditionally, I sharpen broadheads, and knives.
I Traditionally hunt elk on Labor Weekend.

I Traditionally shoot a compound, but have nothing against what anyone else shoots.

Traditional is in the eyes on the beholder. I am what some would call a partial traditional archer. I shoot longbows and recurves older models but factory made and I shoot aluminum arrows because I like the price and how they fly.
When I asked "any traditional archers" I purely meant people that shoot recurves and longbows. I shoot off the shelf but you can dress one up just like a compound sights stabilizer ect. I found "traditional archery" is much cheaper to get started and maintain than when I was shooting compounds for hunting and tournaments and I am having alot more fun with it.

Wingman
What you referred to is usually called primitive archery. Traditional is generally recurves and longbows made using fiberglass and laminations. As far as arrows, I shoot evrything from cedar, fiberglass, carbon and aluminum. The idea is shoot what works best for your style of shooting and what the bow best performs with. The whole thing for me is it is just less complicated, simple and fun with just a stick and a string. Once you get a good set up and pratice with it you are not constantly, messing with it like most componders do. I like the KISS method of things. But that's just me.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back