Any Trad. Archers Here?

I haven't visited this site for nearly a year so I'm not 'on here' much but I am one who has shot only bows that bend (traditional and primitive) ever since I first shot a bow in the '60's.

Primitive archery is selfbows, simple composite bows, wood arrows, shooting off the shelf (or hand), etc. Traditional archery, to my thinking, is the shooting of a bending bow without a sight, a stabalizer or a mechanical release. If someone thinks they need an arrow rest that is fine. Any type of arrow material is accepted at most traditional events that I attend, but occasionally there is an event that limits shooters to the use of wood arrows shot off the shelf; that really separates the wheat from the chaff!

I have never met Yote Robertson; he is still a young man but I imagine he will one day be among the few who can be considered the 'real deal' in the world of 'hunting the hard way'.

I like to take my recurve out a few times per year. My greatest accomplishment with it so far has been a "Booner" groundhog. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 377
Recurve or longbow? Thinking about making the switch myself to hunt the simpler way. Primarily used for whitetails from a tree stand. What are the pros/cons for each?

thanks for the input.

Recurve or longbow? Thinking about making the switch myself to hunt the simpler way. Primarily used for whitetails from a tree stand. What are the pros/cons for each?

thanks for the input.

Just use that 1965 Bear bow you had in 1999:D

Phantom, if I were going to buy a bow for use in a treestand, it would be a short recurve. Something around 48-50". That will give you more maneuverability in your stand. Longbows usually build poundage quickly but are more forgiving. Either way, you'll have a ton of fun! PS give me a shout if you need me to kill those 100 class bucks. All day long! ;)

Thanks for the info xrayts. Nice groundhog BTW. What kind of arrows are those...wood or carbon that look like wood?

Carbon Express Heritage. They're wood looking carbon. I like cedar arrows better, but you have to check for straightness often, and if you miss a target, it might break.
If you have the $, check out Black Widow Bows. Made in Nixa, MO. They make some awesome takedowns. Don't hold me to it, but I think they'll send you a bow to try.

i make recurves and use them both to shoot 3d and to hunt with...i love it. do it cause it makes me happy and because i like to give all my friends shit for shooting bows with training wheels.....if you like to hunt with a bow then i thinks thats awesome, doesnt matter if its a stick bow or a beginners bow

Too much fun

I just signed onto this site. I'm anxious to see if it's a good place to make friends. Regarding trad archery, I just passed my 41st year of shooting trad, starting out with a 30# recurve my dad bought me for my 13th birthday. It's been a passion ever since. I briefly flirted with a compound when they started to become really popular back in the late 70's, but they just weren't as much fun to shoot. I freely admit that you won't kill as many animals hunting trad vs compound, but the ones you do get will give you a lot more satisfaction.
Ken

Welcome to the site! 41 years of practice...you must be pretty good. Post some pics and stories and you'll fit right in.

i will post some pics as soon as i can. have made some pretty wood hunting bows (action wood, bubinga, curly maple fadeouts) but lately have gotten into 3d shooting at the local club so now i'm machining my own risers out of 6061 alum and putting ilf limbs on. Lovin it!! glad to see some other instinctive missers on here

Traditional hunter from Pa. Hunted compound since Jennings made it trendy (1975). Brought out the old recurve, 1974 Browning Nomad Stalker I last spring and remembered how much fun it was and how you have to hone your hunting skills to be proficient.
Will only use the recurve now. Also only expect to use the flintlock in gun seasons. At 66 my hunting is now an enjoyed recreation, let's level the playing field and get the game like our forefathers.

I shoot a Martin (Damon Howatt) Hunter recurve and that is all I have ever shot. I really like it.

For graduation from college this spring we bought our son a Toelke reflex-deflex longbow. I shot the darn thing and now I think I might be snake bitten and have to get one for me!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back