Alaska Hunt

Grizzly

The DIY bear hunt in Alaska caught my attention. How do I get the contact information to see about renting a cabin in Alaska? The same with boat rental. Are there moose in the area?

Just go to the forest service's website, the link to reservations are there.
Where are you thinking of going. Me and two buddies did a DIY unguided island hunt for 6 days in AK.

KRS

Going

Not sure where I'm going. Do you have suggestions of good locations for moose?

Pretty much any where in the interior or on the Alaska peninsula. Getting to the better remote areas may require a transporter.

As stated above anywhere in the interior or the peninsula would be your best bet. Either one has a choice of several types of hunts. You can charter an air service $$$, rent a raft/boat for a float trip $$, or rent a car in Anchorage or Fairbanks, drive out of town on one of the highways and then start walking or maybe get lucky and see one near the road $. The float trip is really worth considering and is pretty popular. Moose can be found just about anywhere but are often found in or near water as their main food source is aquatic vegetation so it just makes sense to hunt from a boat. You cover a lot of territory without much exertion and if you bag one near the edge of the river it's a lot easier to load it into the raft than to pack it out on your back. A lot of people think they're in really great shape, but then they get to Alaska and realize how huge the moose are and how tough the terrain is. It may look flat and easy walking in many moose hunting areas but Alaska has this stuff called muskeg and tussocks that'll just make you pray for a quick death while packing out an animal. Another benefit to the float trip is after you get that trophy you can break out the fishing pole for the rest of the trip, especially if you're on the peninsula and the salmon are running. An author named Chris Batin has several very good books on hunting and fishing in Alaska, he's a lifelong alaskan living in the interior. Cabin rental info can be obtained from the US Forest Service. In Alaska you can also camp anywhere on public land. Many of the outfitters can supply anything you may want or need including rafts/boats, tents, cookware, etc. One thing to be aware of is that you can use/substitute the tags you have for any animal of equal or lesser value if you don't see the species you're after. If you a non-res you cannot hunt Dall Sheep, Mtn. Goat, or Brown/Grizzly without a liscensed guide unless you are hunting with an immediate relative, other than that you can bag a caribou, black bear etc. with a moose tag or vice versa as long as they are equal or lesser valued tags.There's a book on the subject of float hunting Alaska but I forget who the author is. I would contact the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game as well as the nearest Nat. Forest office to where you're interested in as well as the Chamber of Commerce for the nearest community as their economy is heavily based on hunting/fishing even in the cities such as Fairbanks. One more thing most people don't think about until it's too late is getting everything back home again. A moose weighs alot and will not keep till you make it back to the lower 48, so account for a game processor and shipping and don't forget those massive antlers, they can weigh up to 100# or more and if there's any chance of them making a record book they can't be split. Alaska Airlines deals with this all the time and yes they will ship large antlers such as moose, caribou, etc. however don't forget to factor in the cost and it would be advisable to check with the other airlines you'll be connecting to in order to get home again. Hope this all helps and Good Luck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back