Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Episode Ten - North Dakota Archery Mule Deer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Even though it is the heat of late summer, when you see this episode, you are gonna get a chill. North Dakota in mid-December is brutal for any activity. An outdoor activity like hunting is made much more difficult with that wind and cold.

This hunt took place on the National Grasslands of western North Dakota. It was at the suggestion of Buschy that we try this hunt. Had I known how brutal it would be, I would have never signed up. But like many things, when it is all over, you are glad you hung in there and saw it to the bitter end - very bitter in this case.

Greg and I were getting plenty cold, but Troy had to operate the camera with bare hands. When you see this, just think about being out in this weather without mits, for these long periods of time. Good thing Troy gets paid so much - he earned it on this hunt.

If you want to read the "As it happened" thread, here it is.
North Dakota Archery Mule Deer

Here is a preview clip if you are interested. Episode 10 Teaser

Same days and times every week.

Wednesday at 11:00 am
Friday at 10:30 pm
Sunday at 3:00 pm

All times Mountain time and always on Outdoor Channel.

IMG_4983.JPG

I can't thank Buschy enough. He worked his tail off to help locate bucks. He let me and the cameras mess with his normal hunting style. And every ten minutes he would slap his hands together, do a fist pump, and say, "Any minute now and we're gonna shoot one." The guy has enough enthusiasm for all of us, even in this brutal conditions. Thanks Greg.

And with all episodes, feel free to email or contact any of the sponsors at the links below.

Federal Premium Ammunition

Leupold Optics

Otis Technology

Yeti Coolers

Mystery Ranch Backpacks

Kenetrek Boots

Leatherman

Montana Black Gold

Ripcord Arrow Rests

Tightspot Quivers

Montana Decoy

And always feel free to let Outdoor Channel know what you like to see.

And if you see a company whose products we use, who are not a sponsor shown on the show or site, send them an email and ask them what they are waiting for.... another warm weather fancy lodge hunt? :D

That snow was crunching on every step. I like how the video lets us hear that. I kept thinking man that has got to be tough to even get withing 60 yards of a deer with the snow crunching. Looks like another great film Big Fin!

That pic alone, none the less the teaser clip, was enough to remind me of freezing nose hairs and iced beard / eye brows.

Look forward to watching the entire show and have started passing on the kuddos to those who sponsor your show. Great backers of a fantastic series!

Hope you still enjoy hunting for many years to come and don't make this a "job~job", Randy. I assume it is a delicate balancing act to ensure enjoyment stays foremost with this type of television venture! Quite the challenge - I would only dare imagine!

When do you plan to have season 2 out for dvd sales?

I am excited to watch this episode tonight.

Big Fin,
Would you do this hunt again? Maybe just pray for a little better weather?

I am excited to watch this episode tonight.

Big Fin,
Would you do this hunt again? Maybe just pray for a little better weather?

Yup. I would listen to Buschy and go the week of Thanksgiving, rather than in December. For this episode, December was the only time I could make it work.

Big Fin,

I am supposed to be sitting in a jet THIS MORNING halfway to Alaska for my moose/caribou/wolf hunt. Unfortunately, I am sitting here at work because a family member REALLY dropped the ball and a years worth of planning and anticiaption came to a sudden/grinding/painful halt last week. Dang it I hate it when people don't hold up their end of the deal and really let you down. :mad:

Always an upside though! Grizzley was kind enough to let me jump in with him and another friend for a CO archery elk hunt in a few weeks. He was just in my office a few minutes ago and if he was any more jacked to go elk hunting I am afraid he would wet himself.

Watching you and Troy make a killer stalk made all of the bitter cold worth while. I hope we get to do it again sometime!

Just watched this episode (actually just watched the last three). Great videography! Really could feel the cold (almost). Pretty demanding conditions, especially for an archery hunt. Good job guys.

Fin are you STILL complaining about the cold? I figured you'd have forgotten that feeling of your nostrils freezing together as you breath in from the slight bit of condesation. I figured you'd have gotten over the pins and needles pain when your feet finally get some blood flowing through them again and your nerve endings wake up.I figured the amnesia caused by success would have you at the front of the line to do it all again with a smile on your face!

And you've been out in the snow and wind longer that a body should and get some where to warm up and you can't stop shaking and shivering because your core temp to way too low. Those are some good times. Not!

Buschy,
What are the dates of the CO elk hunt. You and I happen to know someone who is headed there in a few weeks. I for one cannot go, long story...

Great show. I am a new member to the site, but have been watching the show since it came on. I have been enjoying it a lot!

Big Fin,

I am supposed to be sitting in a jet THIS MORNING halfway to Alaska for my moose/caribou/wolf hunt. Unfortunately, I am sitting here at work because a family member REALLY dropped the ball and a years worth of planning and anticiaption came to a sudden/grinding/painful halt last week. Dang it I hate it when people don't hold up their end of the deal and really let you down. :mad:

This really has to be frustrating to you. You rely on somebody to do what they said and like you said, they don't hold up their end. I for one don't like to be a nag when you are trying to put a plan in place and somebody else is in charge of one element of it and then chit happens, or not. My brother and quit trying to spread out camp equipment amongst everybody and then have somebody forget something important after you have reminded them several times. So it has ended up over the years that we haul the whole camp, hit everybody up for food, do the shopping and just GET R Done!

hardscrabble,

Sept. 17-26. Hopefully they will be talking!

Sorry to hear you can't make it this year with Pat.

Caught that show today; reminded me of goose hunting in CO at -15. When I saw you shaking like a dog passing peach pits I understood your level of dedication to the sport. Thanks for some good coverage.

not sure what these guys are complaining about. I had to take my coat off and film in my tee shirt because I was sweating the whole trip. Then I realized my fingers were stuck to the camera lens and that I was actually in the dark of hypothermia where your body starts to warm up because it is too cold to feel anything anymore.....not quite that bad, but cold has a new meaning after that trip!!

Attachments

• oyo ND md (1).jpg
    oyo ND md (1).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 510
  • oyo ND md (2).jpg
    oyo ND md (2).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 541
  • oyo ND md (3).jpg
    oyo ND md (3).jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 518
  • oyo ND md.jpg
    oyo ND md.jpg