Yeti GOBOX Collection

Southern Ohio Deer Hunting

dawg

I am headed to public land in south eastern Ohio early November. There is a lot of public ground down there and just wondering if anyone had any advice or areas that may be better than others. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

We hunted near Zanesville a few years ago and it was very concentrated with out of state hunters. We were told if we traveled more south we we get away from some of the crowds. We are looking at Meigs, Gallia, Jackson county areas. I think we found a small cabin to rent in Raccine.
thanks

Zaleski State Forest near Athens

I live about 30 miles from Zanesville and spend a lot of time on public land just to the south. You might consider the Athens, Hocking, Vinton county area. There are cabins available near Lake Hope State Park and the Waterloo Wildlife area offers and large (by Ohio standards) walk-in area that could afford you a little privacy if you're willing to work. I took a nice ten-point two years ago just outside the forest area and have seen some real giants roaming the public lands. Good Luck!

Attachments

• 16_19 (2).jpg
    16_19 (2).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 3,407
great buck thanks for the information. Have you heard much on the american electric power, gavin area.

Gavin Area

I have never hunted the Gavin area but I know a little about it. Like much of the AEP land, the Gavin area is a mix of reclaimed coal land, clear cuts and some older growth forest. It can be tough to find suitable tree to hang a stand in, but if you can find the older hardwoods, the deer will be there.

Cheshire is about an hour or so away from me. I have never hunted southern Ohio but I have plenty of clients that do and I have seen some huge bucks come out of there. Good luck. Nice deer ops!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back