PEAX Equipment

Sleeping bag liner?

huntin24/7

Hey guys. I'm doing my first moutain hunt this year and have a 20 degree rated north face sleeping bag. I was looking to get a liner to add warmth rather than buying another sleeping bag. Does anyone have any suggestions for specific liners or other options that would help? Thanks.

A couple years back I bought my wife a fleece liner that I picked up at sportsmans warehouse.

Its actually quite nice and I find myself using it alot. No more cold bags to get into.

lilbiggun,
You have any hunts planned this fall??? Is your wife still doing taxidermy?

Yeah shes still mounting stuff. she's gonna have to take a couple week break since were expecting our first in Nov. Shes still getting her big ole belly around the rugging table though.

I'm heading out to tonsina glacier (greyling lake) at the end of the month. A buddy got drawn for sheep and I'm gonna try and whack a grizz. If nothing else it gets me out of anchorage.

I always mean to get a silk liner ordered up but never remember. I hear they lower the rating on your bag, are way light and keep it clean longer.

Bag liner can add a few degrees of rating, but they can also get you all tangled up inside your bag which is a pain. When I know I'm going colder than rating I put my bag in my bivvy bag (Cabelas XPG - 1 lb.). Adds easily 10 degrees to rating, no tangled up mess inside the bag, and if the tent gets wet inside from condensation, etc. my bag doesn't get soaked. I've done this in the Olympics and the Cascades at 5000 feet and the Andes at over 13,000 feet with an extremely lightweight down bag and it works great.

Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner - I got mine from REI and love it!

I have a 10 degree Marmot bag. I'm thinking about grabbing one of those heavy sea to summit thermolites to bring West this season for the last full week of October. If the weather is nice, I can always leave it in the truck, but I'd hate to be up there wanting for it and not having it.

I use a silk liner but not for warmth but rather to keep my down bag clean. Much easier to wash a liner than a down bag.

I use a thermolite liner inside a Eureka 15 degree bag. I don't think it adds that much warmth factor. But, as noted above, it keeps the bag clean and the liner is very easy to rinse out/dry or just hang in camp to air out each day. You do get tangled a bit, but that's never really bothered me.

I have used a silk liner for years along with a cheap 30 degree bag. The liner combined with a few hand warmers has gotten me through many nights below my bags rating. I haven't noticed a problem with getting tangled up and like others said it keeps you bag cleaner. Is this a backpack hunt were every ounce is an issue or are you getting to camp by another method? If you aren't backpacking there are lots of options that aren't expensive.

Liners are a pretty inefficient (in terms of weight) way to bump up a rating, but you can do it. As noted, a silk liner is nice for keeping things clean though I generally don't use one. I have pushed my 20* bag into the single digits with my puffy over top and my sitting pad under my hip, with an added cost of $0 and 0 ounces. Good luck on your first backpack hunt, and enjoy!

Snowy, is there a reason why you wouldn't wear your puffy inside the bag rather than throw it over the top?

Also, sorry, I don't mean to confuse anyone by bumping a thread from 2010. Some message boards prefer you search for and use existing threads already dealing with the topic you want to discuss instead of creating a new one. I'm still trying to feel out Hunt Talk's unspoken etiquette.

I'm not a huge fan of liners. I have a Kifaru Woobie which has taken me comfortably down to -10 with my 15 degree Marmot Helium. I use it by itself year-round as well. You can make your own for pretty cheap if you have a sewing machine and a free evening. I like my woobie so much that I made myself a doobie. It's nowhere near as pretty as the Kifaru, but it's every bit as functional.

Another route is to get a 20 or 30 degree quilt for use by iteself (Massdrop has one made by EE right now, but not for much longer), and put it over your bag. It made a difference on a cold (15 degrees) camp I did last year when my old cheapo 20 degree bag wouldn't cut it. Together I was over-toasty!

Snowy, is there a reason why you wouldn't wear your puffy inside the bag rather than throw it over the top?
My rationale is that when I lay it over top it's allowed to fully loft and I'm not compressing it by curling up my arms and laying on it. It gives a line of defense for your primary insulation (bag) from inner tent condensation. Also, it moves the freezing point of your condensation outside of your sleeping bag in really cold conditions. I'd rather deal with drying my puffy on a multi day trip than my sleeping bag.

Doesn't work with a heavier synthetic insulation jacket though on top of the bag, 'cause it will compress the bag and defeat the purpose. Synthetic puffy's are typically better off worn or laid over your body inside the bag.

That's my experience, others may find otherwise.

For backpack hunting I take the tunnel hood off my winter parka I typically wear when it is -40F or colder.

Does not take much room or weight and significant heat loss is from the head.

Plus I can wear the tunnel hood if I get cold while glassing.

I always mean to get a silk liner ordered up but never remember. I hear they lower the rating on your bag, are way light and keep it clean longer.

Liner that will dry quickly helps the sleeping bag stay less wet. On humid and chilly days, the bags do not really dry but every night you sweat. Weigh your sleeping bag on Day 1 and then re-weigh as pack up camp. Liner is easier to wash back home than an entire sleeping bag.

Fleece doesn't breath for me. I take a wool blanket and throw it over my bag, warm and toasty. Doesn't take much on top to add warmth, bivy bag is a great option also.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back