Episode Six - Public Land Mule Deer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Montana is not known for huge mule deer, but lots of them. This episode is a reflection of that, with the exception of the footage of one very good buck with some really cool cheaters. The best scoring buck I have ever encountered while hunting in Montana. I know, most of you are rolling your eyes saying, "What do you expect when you are always hunting whitetails?"

I will spare you the suspense of the big buck in question. Bart, or Lawnboy as he is known here on Hunt Talk, did not shoot that big buck, though he could have easily toasted him. Our GPS told us the buck was on public, but the fences indicated he was on private. When you are filming a show that is viewed by hundreds of thousands of people, you want to be absolutely certain of everything before you pull a trigger.

Moral of the story, trust your GPS. The fences in this case were off by over 300 yards and the buck was well within our shooting territory. Oh well. The next time I will go by the GPS, not some eighty year-old dilapidated grazing fence.

It was a difficult hunt. Early season with really not much rutting going on. This area of Montana gets hammered in general deer season, so we had realistic expectations. Probably like some of the public lands you have available to hunt.

I suspect this hunt is a lot like many of your hunts. Hard and challenging, but filled with the dream that a big one might make and appearance and provide the shot you are looking for. And hopefully filled with great times with great friends.

If you want to read the "As it happened" thread, here it is. Montana Mule Deer

Here is a preview clip if you are interested. Episode 6 Teaser

Same days and times every week.

Wednesday at 11:00 am
Friday at 10:30 pm
Sunday at 3:00 pm

All times Mountain time and always on Outdoor Channel.

IMG_4726.JPG

Hope you like this one. If not for Lawnboy, this episode would have been "down the tubes." As hard as I tried, I could not find a buck to shoot. On the last evening, Bart made a great shot as a buck danced across the hillside. The buck was moving so the camera had a hard time getting on him and getting a good focus.

And with all episodes, feel free to email or contact any of the sponsors at the links below.

Federal Premium Ammunition

Leupold Optics

Otis Technology

Yeti Coolers

Mystery Ranch Backpacks

Kenetrek Boots

Leatherman

Montana Black Gold

Ripcord Arrow Rests

Tightspot Quivers

Montana Decoy

And always feel free to let Outdoor Channel know what you like to see.

And if you see a company whose products we use, who are not a sponsor shown on the show or site, send them an email and ask them what they are waiting for.... another hand holding shoot 'em in the haystack hunt? :D

Big, small, or inbetween, as a mulie junkie I can't wait to see this episode. Thanks BF!

Big Fin- how did you determine that the fences were 300 yards off?

GPS loaded with land ownership maps. And then a stop at the local Forest Service office to ask what was going on with the fence lines in that area as it related to the maps and the GPS data.

Should have asked those questions before the hunt, not after. ;)

Does your camera crew only get oatmeal in a bag and instant coffee, also?
No biscuits and gravy, or hash and bacon for them?

Does your camera crew only get oatmeal in a bag and instant coffee, also?
No biscuits and gravy, or hash and bacon for them?

Actually they had some pretty good stuff in their cooler. I had to go raid it on about day 3:D No gourmet meals with Randy Newberg hunting. Although his wife had made us some excellent lasagna that all we had to do was heat up. (thanks Kim) Other than that it's fend for yourself. I think Randy thinks that I have a hole in my leg. I like to eat.:D

I can't wait to watch the show tonight.

Lawnboy - I also like raiding the camera guys coolers. Luckily Loren is a beer distributor and brings the good stuff. ;)

Big Fin,
Your alaska hunt... that plan for this season or next?

Great episode Randy and Bart...................Unfortunately I was pretty much stuck on the couch watching tv all day with my new friend (bag of Ice)....so i got to see it:):)

Great job guys. It would have been cool to bag that big buck but I think it was even cooler that you showed respect for what you thought was private property.

Great show guys and great shot Lawnboy. That was a stud of a buck you guys had to let go. Like NV said I think the message you sent was a good one.

another good show,I bet it was hard to let that nice buck go bein unsure of the fence edge.

Yep still makes me sick thinking about it. He wasn't a world record by any means but would of been my best buck to date. He had a couple of cool cheaters on that one side. Man I wish I could have that chance again.

Great episode fellas. A real hunt with property boundries and good friends sends a great message.
I'm beting we may all see an episode next season with that same buck in it. He'd be worth going back to check anyway.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back