Episode Two - Montana Bighorn

I know what the regs say, I just said it a different way. I know a guy that found a ram head, told F&G and when they decided it was a natural death they plugged it just like one you shoot and he got to keep it.

That's interesting: I'm not sure how "illegal to possess" can be changed so that you could keep a skull.:confused: The guy must of had a buddy in the F&G or something. I wasn't trying to argue just reading it like it states (seems pretty clear ) it and by what our local F&G officers told us.

Finally got to watch it and Very nice! Great show and hats of Vaughn for his composed demeanor... Now, what REALLY happened OFF camera? Haha! J/K! :)

Wow I only caught the second episode but I must say it was a great show.I wish more hunting shows would be like OYOA shows.It was gut wrenching to see poor Vaughn's face when he saw the pic of the dead ram you could tell he wanted that ram.Keep up the great work!

Comes on a couple hours from now here...guess I'll have to see what all the fuss is about Randy.;)

Episode 2 just about to come on. Perfect timing with the World Cup just finishing. Nice work Randy, you've got some serious leverage!!

Well, just ended & sure didn't disappoint. It is amazing to me how much story, emotion, scenery, and character insight you guys can wring out of less than 30 minutes. Kudos to the editors for starters, but I honestly think you pegged the essence of ethical and dedicated sportsmanship with this one.

Great Show in Montana. 21 days in the backcountry sounds awesome and a little intimidating. I live on the east coast where it is flat forever and anything that can eat you if it wants to lives in the ocean. Its a shame about Tank but I think the show captured the feelings of it being a once in a lifetime hunt. He took his time and evaluated many animals before filling his tag. Congratulations on the hunt and a great show. I'll be tuning in again for sure.

New member here. Found the site off the show. Great first episode. nice bull.

I watched the sheep hunt in the breaks last night.Great footage!

Just read through the recount of the sheep hunt.. well documented. Great job on a once in a lifetime hunt!

I have one question for you... Is that ram really 195? Obviously it is a great ram, but Ive stared at it for over and over and to my untrained eye it looks like it would have a hard time getting much over 180.. Am I misjudging it or is it just a decieving pic..It said in the story( and I believe on film) everyone guessed it a minimim of 45 inches. I would guess( In hindsight obviously) by the drop and how light the horns are to be in the 39 to 40 range at most with 15 ish bases. It seems like a ram that looks long because it lacks weight. What did it end up scoring? What were the horn lengths? You didnt mention in the rest of the story or on the show any size after you killed it. Not a sheep expert just curious. I have a friend that has a tag this year and was boning up on my sheep judging skills. Great looking and very unique ram either way. Congrats to the hunter on a tremendous trophy.

Anyway, great show, cant wait to see the next one!

BBrew - Are you asking about the dead rams we found, or the one that was shot by Vaughn (Flare)at the end of the show?

The dead ones we found were both scored at 200" +/- 1" on both of them.

The one Vaughn shot has not been officially measured, to my knowledge. The horns are right at 41" and 40.5". FWP does a rough measurement when you check it in, and I think they came up with 183", but that is not official.

I do not know what it would score and have not asked Vaughn if he has had it scored. I don't think we ever said it would score 195". If we did, I apologize for not catching that. Prior to killing him, some of the guys with us had glassed him from far, far, away and thought he might be 190". Turned out to not be the case, for the reasons you mention.

Vaughn was very excited to have hunted as hard as he did and kill a ram that was as cool and unique as this one. Not the highest scoring ram of those we looked over, but one that Vaughn had chosen after "Tank" was found dead and we could not locate the other large ram he had seen weeks previously, that he had named "Slick." Slick could have been killed or migrated in the two weeks since he had originally seen him, as we learned from the Tank experience.

Other rams you saw Vaughn pass on in the footage would have scored higher than "Flare," the ram Vaughn shot. Like we said in the episode, the beauty of hunting is that the tag holder gets to define what "Trophy" means to him/her. In this case, Flare is the trophy Vaughn settled on, though he could have shot some scoring much better.

I couldn't be happier for him and though he might secretly regret not having shot Tank in the weeks prior, Vaughn is not one to dwell on things and is looking forward to some great hunts this season. He is a great hunter, a great friend, and a great sportsman.

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us.

Big Fin.

Thanks for the quick response. I was refering to your post (#51) on Mt bighorn sheep- Better run write up, with the picture following being the ram you guys killed(I think)..

" This is probably the cleanest, longest horned ram I have ever seen, alive or in photo. All the guys guessed him to be at the minimum, 45". The consensus was the ram would gross around 195. I am not a ram expert, so I did not even make a guess, other than to tell Vaughn, he should be shooting."

Again, not a sheep expert but that threw me off. With that being said, did the horn legnths surprise you, or is that a different ram?

Thanks again for the response. Great work on the show.

Big Fin.

Thanks for the quick response. I was refering to your post (#51) on Mt bighorn sheep- Better run write up, with the picture following being the ram you guys killed(I think)..

" This is probably the cleanest, longest horned ram I have ever seen, alive or in photo. All the guys guessed him to be at the minimum, 45". The consensus was the ram would gross around 195. I am not a ram expert, so I did not even make a guess, other than to tell Vaughn, he should be shooting."

Again, not a sheep expert but that threw me off. With that being said, did the horn legnths surprise you, or is that a different ram?

Thanks again for the response. Great work on the show.

That was what the more knowledgeable guys were speculating the first time they glassed him from a long ways off. The ram being discussed in that post is the same ram that Vaughn killed.

Sorry about that, hadn't read through all the posts since posting last October and did not realize that reference was there. Guess it shows how a long-horned ram can through off even those experienced bighorn guys, of which I do not consider myself one.

I finally got a chance to see the sheep hunt withVaughn last night. Wow that was agreat hunt and once again a great OYOA show. Tell you what Randy, I think you are one of the best in the business and would be a real pleasure to share a hunt with. Me my wife and kids love your show and the example you set for the true hunters of the world. Thanks for what you do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back