09 CA Blacktails (Hybrid)

BOHNTR

Tough season this year for the bigger bucks..........September and October will go down in history as one of the driest and warmest in a long time here. Coupled with the fact that we had no rain for several months prior.......well antler development was a bit lacking this year.

My son didn't care, he simply enjoyed bowhunting and wanted to take a legal buck. So, with the October weather right at 80 degrees in the morning, he was somehow able to sneak up in the dry leaves on this little guy for a quick kill.

picture.php

In November, with two days before my tag was going to expire, we finally got some cool weather that moved in. This allowed me to hike into a spot I used to see deer in near an old oak tree grove. Sure enough, the area had this buck chasing a doe. That allowed me to stalk up closer......when he passed by me at 27 yards, I let him have it. Nothing huge, but he'll make the CA book minimum for Blacktail (Hybrids). Looking forward to spending a week and a half in Arizona next week to chase rutting desert muleys.......looks like cooler weather for sure. Hope you enjoy.

picture.php

I am never surprised to see deer falling to the arrows of Bohuntr and son. Even when conditions are as tough as you spoke of.

I suspect there is a "dead deer walking" somewhere in AZ right now. He just doesn't know it.

Congrats to both of you for some great bucks.

Good luck in AZ!

Nice bucks BOHUNTR
What zones does P&Y and B&C consider hybrids black tails to be in, Is that the D zones, and whats the min. entry size?
Thanks hoggetter

P&Y and B&C don't recognize the Pacific Hybrid. They would be scored as a mule deer. Only CBH (CA Bowmen Hunters) recognizes the separate species.

What zones does P&Y and B&C consider hybrids black tails to be in, Is that the D zones, and whats the min. entry size?

As SDHNTR eluded to, P&Y/B&C does not recognize the individual specie......it would be measured as a mule deer. However, the state record book system administered by the California Bowmen Hunters does. They recognize three species of deer (Mule Deer, Columbia Blacktail, Pacific Hybrid).

Without getting specific on boundaries (it's long) I can basically tell you from Monterey County South, along the coastal and somewhat inland areas to San Diego......basically the Southern portion of the A zone, D-19, parts of D-11 (Southern range), and a few others in Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, and Monterey Counties.

For the archery record book, the minimums are as followed for the three deer species:

Mule Deer-90" typical / 100" non-typical (5" of nt points)
Pacific Hybrid-80" typical / 90" non-typical (5" of nt points)
Blacktail-75" typical / 90" non-typical (5" of nt points)

Thanks for the info. I check CBH website for a map.I hunt D7 and D8 , it sound like they concider them to be Mule deer units. Thanks again!

Back