Antelope...Lets See Them!!!

I don't think it gets much cooler than this buck. He has tons of character but I think the best part is he was on land that just a few years ago was private land but was purchased by a conservation group and then turned over to public land. Only fuels a person's love for public land. Embarrassed about the mad look, still learning how to take pictures by myself when I leave the tripod behind and balancing the camera on the pack up against sagebrush is no small task.

Cool looking buck!!

Opening morning in Montana for my brother and I. We both got bucks on the same piece of public land within a quarter mile of each other. Mine was at first light, and his was 3 hours later when the herd returned. Gotta love punching both tags before noon! It was a little chilly at first light so my IronMan long underwear helped a lot! Also, my brother thought it would be easier to carry than to drag, he may have been right but got bloody as hell in the proces. Next time wear a poncho maybe...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My first antelope hunt ever. Slim draw in Idaho that I put in as an afterthought as I was already putting my name in the hat for the deer and elk draws. Glad I did. Super fun adventure driving all night, passed multiple bucks near a road only to end up taking this guy about a mile from the truck, go figure. I still can't tell a good goat from an average one, but this one was "cool lookin" with his right side curling forward instead of in or back.

Thought it was a fun hunt, no big deal, something I'd do again but no rush. Then the gf (now fiance) and I had some after I got back. WOW! Already putting together plans for both of us to head to Wyoming with as many tags as we can get our hands on. I never thought I would find game meat better than elk, but here it is.

There are a bunch of nice antelope here! I should have joined the forum here a long time ago. I went on my first western hunt this past fall (born and raised in Indiana). Fingers crossed, I should draw an antelope tag this year. While i was out there I got some phoneskope pics of a couple antelope I would be thrilled to have the chance to go after any of them.
FullSizeRender 59.jpgFullSizeRender 12.jpgFullSizeRender 27.jpg

Here is my WY goat from 2015. Cool nontypical with a lot of stickers around his horns. It was an awesome trip...everyone in our group killed a buck. Completely DIY.
DSCN6897.jpgDSCN6979.jpg

That's a cool buck. That must have been some group, I count 17 skull-caps on that hitching rail!

It was. 16 of us. the one on top left post is an antlered doe. I was the very last one in our group to shoot one, but mine was the coolest, and tied for highest score

B&C Lopes on leftover tags

I don't post many pics, but in honor of Randy's wyoming podcast about great antelope in units that most people overlook, here is my buck from last year. Taken on a leftover tag in a unit with no more than 15% public land, of which probably more than 10% of that is landlocked by private. If you are stressing about building points in wyoming for antelope to have a great hunt, you shouldn't be. If you do want to continue point building, do not overlook the leftover tags. Those are my favorite to hunt, especially as a NR. I'll be in Wyoming this year burning my 7 pts, as I have figured out that great hunting exists at 1 pp there, so no need to keep building pts.

antelope 2016.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back