Caribou Gear

The Good 'Ol Days

amazing array of photos from everyone. Very cool and thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Breaksrunner,
Whats the story on that other shed? Also the buck with the dropper in the back?

Here is a picture taken in 1968 of a large whitetail buck killed by my friend. The two guys on the left have now gone on to the big hunting ground in the sky. Lots of good memories of hunting with my two best friends.

Attachments

• dannyandwayne0004.jpg
    dannyandwayne0004.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,570
Copper Basin, Idaho 1979

A lady at work I have gotten to know gave me this photo to work on for her. If I remember correctly 1979 just before, or after she was married. Looks like some wicked country.

CopperBasin1979.jpg

Not an old pic but to my daughter they will be the good ole days later in her life.
her at age 13 first antelope and elk 2006 season
IMAGE182.jpg

S4020698.jpg

kashaelk1-1.jpg

and then her second antelope at 13 being a teenager she hasn't been out much since.

S4021369-1.jpg

Finally got around to scanning in some pictures. The first one is of my first antelope ever. This is to this day my biggest antelope. I was 14.
The second picture is of my first archery elk. I was 19 in this picture and had just finished Basic and AIT for the Army. I am sure glad my picture taking skills have improved.

Attachments

• Scan36.jpg
    Scan36.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 2,247
  • Scan32.jpg
    Scan32.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,239
Hello Breaks Runner,

I sent you a PM yesterday about that picture with the Chadwick ram. Did you happen to see it? Would sure like to hear from you on it. Thanks.

awesome thread guys thanks for posting. Though I have no pictures to post I have really enjoyed reading through, thank you.

Have to agree, this is one of the coolest threads ever. I'll have to get a scanner and gets some pics posted up. Never killed anything like what's in this thread though.........wow!

Here's a few photos from 1976 and 1979 from our deer camp in Wisconsin. The first two photos are from 1976 and my dad is on the right with his first deer, a 3-pt. The last photo was taken in 1979 which was the first year I could hunt deer and join the guys in camp. My dad is on the left posing with his largest buck ever. The camp was built in 1941 and my dad called two nights ago to fill me in on this years events as this was his 40th straight year in camp. The camp has no electricity, no water and is about 1.5 miles from the access road.

Attachments

• 76-2.jpg
    76-2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,930
  • 76-1.jpg
    76-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,911
  • 79-4.jpg
    79-4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,922
Way cool story! The old Sno Jet brings back lots of memories of my bro and I trapping yotes and cats with dad. My grandkids are watiing to be old enough to ride great pop pop's Honda 70 that he used during spring trapping. Still has the scratches on it from where he always kept a couple of traps hanging over the back of the seat

Here is a picture taken in 1968 of a large whitetail buck killed by my friend. The two guys on the left have now gone on to the big hunting ground in the sky. Lots of good memories of hunting with my two best friends.

I have just gone through this thread and there are some great pictures, but this one posted by jodum made me laugh, it looks like the deer pushed its head through to make sure it wasn't missed out in the picture.
Cheers
Richard

Hey Breaks Runner, I use to work with Bob Savage from Bozeman, do you know him? I saw your trapping picture and know he was big into that in that area.

John

Montana - 1965

First I'd like to say, like several others have, this is a great idea and a super thread. Also, Breaksrunner's contributions are most interesting and informative. Keep it up!

Here are a couple of old pictures I have to contribute. Both of these animals were taken in 1965 from an area that later on was purchased by the State and became the Beartooth Game Range near the north end of the Big Belt mountain range.

elk  005.jpg
My friend, Al Bergum shot this bull, shown here with my wife an oldest daughter. We spent some time and effort to show it off to our friends. Then Al, who had never killed an elk before, stashed these tremendous antlers in the rafters of his garage. They stayed there until 1985 when the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation held its first banquet in Helena. The antlers were measured and then displayed at that banquet. After 20-years in storage they netted 373" B&C!

deer  002.jpg
The following weekend I went back to the same general area where Al had shot his bull and found this buck. It remains one of the largest I've taken. It was 28" wide and unofficially scored 176" B&C.

Sorry, we didn't make a practice of carrying a camera in the field in those days. I would love to have had some good field photos like we take these days.

Here is back in my day. Started killing raghorns and never quit.

Attachments

• me 1.JPG
    me 1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,778
  • me 2.JPG
    me 2.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,800
And back in my dads day. He used to shoot deer like this every year.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,830
1950's buck

So i got to talking with this old fella the other day and he said his wife had shot a big buck back in the day (1950's). He said that is was a pretty good one so I asked if he would show me. Sure he said. I went into his living room and he show this buck to me. It has never been scored or in any book. I think it should be! What a buck. He just had a new cape put on it a couple years ago. You should also see the rams he has, WOW! I might put this buck up on another thread so we can guess the score!!!

Attachments

• deer 2011 hunt.jpg
    deer 2011 hunt.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,784
Back