The Good 'Ol Days

scan0028-6.jpg

Pic of one of our trapping expeditions to the Missouri Breaks back in the early 80's. Stayed and trapped there for 30 days, then went to the Powder for another month....fur was worth good money back then....man, lots of memories..

Pat,

Those are some great pictures.

Those kind of inspired me to do a bit of digging, heres a few you might get a laugh at.

First deer, shot it after school in the Blackfoot, classic garage picture. Sure wish I would have taken pictures from the start, but it was just different back then.

buzzmd4.JPG

First elk, again, another great garage picture:

buzzelk13.JPG

I remember this day well...near Avon Montana opening day 1983...they never had a chance. My Dad and I each shot a bull elk...Dad got a mule deer buck, my brother got one and my Dads buddy got a mule deer buck as well. Not sure how we did it, but we got them all back to the truck the same day...WHOLE.

buzzelk12.JPG

This picture was in the fall of 1985...moved up a notch to take a picture in the front yard. First elk I shot with a bow, Dad called it into to about 12 yards.

buzzelk10.JPG

In the early 90's we started hunting North Central Montana and were pretty darn tough on the mule deer...

4muledeer.JPG

Found these two deer traveling together and a buddy and a buddy and I each got one of them...no survivors.

2muledeer.JPG

A wide one in 1990...

widemuley.jpg

Dad with one from arond 1994:

Dadsbuck.JPG

My younger brother Matt was the toughest of all on mule deer over there, he took one every year for many years:

mattsmd2.JPG

mattsmd5.JPG

mattsmd6.JPG

mattsmd3.JPG

mattmd6.JPG

mattsmd1.JPG

Last edited:
Buzz - Thanks for that trip down memory lane! Everytime I see that buck from 1990, the image of that rattlesnake comes to mind. Also remember dragging that thing for 2 miles? WTH?

Tarheel

In 1957 at the tender age of 14 I went on my first deer hunt along with my father and grandfather and other members of a hunt club. This was in eastern North Carolina where we ran them with Walker hounds; (it's pretty thick in places). Within minutes of the dogs being released, they struck and brought two 6 point bucks to me, so in order not to embarrass any family members; I killed the lead buck. Scroll forward 10 years to-67; I'm fresh back from S.E. Asia and posted in Colorado when I get a call from my father just before Christmas. It seems that he, my younger brother who is now 14, and our grandfather who just turned 79 were hunting with a deer club on adjoining stands when Grandpap killed a 6 point, made sure he was dead, then walked a few paces and died of a massive coronary. 25 years later my father was two months past his 79th birthday and he, myself, that same younger brother and his two sons were hunting together on a private lease when my father killed a 6 point. Biggest difference is that my father is still with us,will be 96 in Sept, and we all went turkey hunting together spring of -09. We weren't able to get him interested in going this past spring so I called toms for his 85 year old brother. What are the odds of so many coincidences in one family?
This might all sound like a tale, but it's all true to the last word. My brother now has Grandpap's Belgian Browning he killed the deer with, I have the empty casing he shot him with as well as all the buckshot he carried in his jacket, and we all have precious memories of a man we all loved, a family who have hunted and fished all our lives together, and the gratitude for being able so to do. Lest I forget; I'll be 67 this month and am joining my nephew in Wyoming for antelope season. If I get a 6 point, it will have two up and four down!

Last edited:
SS, great pic no matter how many times I see it...classic.

You and Buzz must shop the same hat store.:D

Pat was that buck up Limestone? I think i recognize that tree.

That is exactly where I killed that buck....it was 25 below zero that morning. I can still see that buck coming out of the timber with his neck streched out following a hot doe. And still remember the high pitched "crack" of the rifle in that cold, still air. There is nothing in the world like hunting big game under those conditions...it quickens my pulse right now just thinking about it.

There wasn't many of us hunting that area in the late 80's early 90's. We didn't have 4 wheel drive back then so we would have to leave way early and walk that road. I remember my dad telling us to hustle because we could see headlights coming behind us. I know a few of those times it was you. There were some absolute giants around back then. I know of a 37" buck shot there in 92 and my dad took a 32" that same year. It's a shame that the unit isn't even close to that now. I still hope to draw because of all the memories I have and the lessons my dad taught us about mule deer hunting. Truly the "Good Ol Days" How wide was that buck? Looks around 27-28". Any score? Didn't your plates say Hntntrap or something like that?

Last edited:
Yep, I've been there. My nephew shot his first bull there this year about 250 yds up the ridge from were your buck lays. That opening/draw is picture perfect muley country. That area gets plenty of traffic these days. My little bro is still cussin you for shooting a deer he was after:D You walked up on him one morning early at first light on a ridge that runs into the bottom of Limestone. Don't know if you remember him but I'll have to remind you someday.

Do you have any more Bridger deer pictures? I'm getting excited and hope I can finally draw. It's only been 7 years waiting:mad:

I believe that was the exact day and spot you met my brother. He ended up missing the bigger one that escaped up out the top of that draw. He finally killed a real nice non typical the next week on the other side of the far knob in your picture. I'm trying to find any pictures of that deer.

What's sad is that you can't hardly find a nice buck in the area, let alone any deer numbers to speak of. I did see a 170 class buck two years ago in the head of that little drainage were you shot this one. But that's about as big of buck as I have seen lately.

Back