Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Here's one from the early 80's. I guess some of the younger guys might think of that as the "old days". This was in the Ruby Mtns of NV. We took a lot of bucks from that same canyon over the years.Name:  DSCN0154.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  41.9 KB
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Second form (second grade) artwork. Mt Kilimanjaro

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  47.5 KB

Camp pic. VW wagon ("microbus") loaded up and off we would go on safari.

Views: 781
Size:  82.8 KB
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

"Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship" Denzel Washington

Views: 745
Size:  92.8 KB

Helping my dad with a Burchell's zebra. The vultures would be circling overhead within the hour.

I have his folding knife and put it to use every chance I can.
    Last edited by kansasdad; 02-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

I found my buck in a snow storm late in the day on the Custer. The next day my brother and I went in to get him out. The plan was to walk out to a great vantage point in the morning, I would point out where my buck was and my brother would hunt his way down to him. I would drive around to the bottom of the canyon and walk up. We would meet at the buck and drag him out the bottom.
    We got out on the point just after shooting light. It was cold, clear and few inches of fresh snow. Deer were everywhere. I think we spotted close to 50 from that point. There was a good buck up in the head of the canyon and another on a ridge in the middle. Both were 170+. We then spotted a great buck across the canyon. Hard to tell how big as it was a long ways off but he was a dandy. We decided that my buck could wait so we started to go back to the truck It was easier drive to the other side of the canyon and then walk out a ridge to see if we could get a better look and the buck. On the walk back we ran into good buck chasing a doe through a saddle two hundred yards away. I put up my binoculars and my brother asks " How good is he? I replied "he has real big cheaters" Boom. My buck is thirty one outside but very light antlers. My brothers is heavy with two nine inch hooking cheaters. The year was 1988. My brother and I still talk about that morning. It was an great morning even for back in the 80's. Hard for me to take how much it has changed. A friend and I were out on that same point two years ago, Same conditions, maybe a little colder. We saw less than ten deer. One was a 20 inch three point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by antlerradar; 02-06-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 736
Size:  42.6 KB

Working at the sawmill.
    "We can only do what we can do while we can do it!"

While on safari (literally translated as "journey") sometimes we would pull over and do lunch on the hood of the International Harverster Scout that dad would use if "going up country". Rough roads and an even rougher ride on leaf springs.

Views: 674
Size:  35.1 KB

On most safaris my dad would pack a fairly extensive first aid/surgery kit, and once word got out that he was in the area, all sorts of people with lots of medical problems would appear almost as if out of thin air, wanting medical care. As a veterinarian, he did quite a bit of surgery and wound care of the local folks, and sometimes on their (nearly revered) cattle. Sometimes this humanitarian effort got in the way of hunting and adventuring.

I think this woman posing with my mom and me is from the Samburu tribe. They would maintain that they were the real deal pastoralists, while the Maasai were pretenders.

Views: 677
Size:  48.9 KB

Amazing photos! Thanks everyone for posting.

Kansasdad, don't you wish you still had that IH Scout? I keep saying I'm going to buy one of those old 4x4s and fix it up ..........
    I love coming back to this thread and seeing what's new in the old department.
    Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up is what makes it permanent.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  88.3 KB

The top photos are two of my dads bow kill bucks from the 90s. The bottom pictures of two of mine also from the 90s

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  76.2 KB

some more deer, my brothers best buck on the upper right

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  73.2 KB

Upper left is dad and friend Rudy in either Pennsylvania or Kentucky
    Upper right is dad and friend Steve in Ontario
    Lower left is dads first P&Y buck with a bow from the early 70s
    Lower right is dad and my late uncle Carl who was a Sheriffs deputy

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  43.5 KB

Dad in one of our favorite turkey spots in the early morning listening for gobblers

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  70.6 KB

Dad, brother Tim and I with some turkeys

Name:  photo 6.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  77.8 KB

Dad with a few good birds and my first one, a jake that I was extremely happy to take

Name:  photo 7.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  60.7 KB

A typical day as a taxidermists son in gun season. My brother looks sooo excited to be helping dad out

Name:  cutthroat.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  84.1 KB

I love this photo of me whipping my older brothers butt on the Yellowstone river catching cuts circa 1975

kansasdad- Those are some amazing pictures. That is one heck of an upbringing your had. WOW.

Those tube socks really take me back to my teenage years.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

On several trips we would go into abandoned homesteads. The Maasai keep their cattle in a thorn enclosure at night, keeping them safe(r) from predators. The pastoralists move when the surrounding area has been grazed down, firewood becomes scarce, or as I can testify, the flea population rises to unbearable levels. 168 flea bites on my back.

Views: 562
Size:  81.4 KB

Great pics in this thread!

Blacktails on our ranch 1966:

My sons first buck Gallatin County 1991:

Elk rodeo 1991:

It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With.

I've posted this on other threads but here it is again! My grandpas deer from Montana from sometime in the 70's. Eating his lunch on a log and this ol boy ran by with a group of does.
    No matter how good or bad the hunting is, never forget where you are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kansasdad View Post
    Thank for for his and your service
    Semper Fi to your father and to all my other brother's and sister's in arms. You fight for all of us and we owe all of them a debt of gratitude. Whether said or not, you all are in our hearts. I know the spouses who remain at home go through a tremendous amount when we're gone. Without them, we could not do our job.

God Bless You My Friend,
    FOR THE LOVE OF THE HUNT!

Scott

RIFLE SEASON
    • .300 WinMag
    • .308 Win
    • .22-250 Rem

ARCHERY SEASON
    • Matthews Monster w/ IQ Bowsight
    • CE PileDriver
    • Broadheads - Rage 2 Blade Hypodermic
    • Tru-Fire Hardcore Max Release

Default my Great Grandfather Ralph Creddicott

my great Grandfather Ralph

This is the oldest hunting pic I'm in. It was November 1983, and I was 4 months old. I recreated the picture with my son exactly 30 years later. My son was 9 months old.
    http://
    http://

wrong pic
    Last edited by BuffaloRCody; 07-31-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567