MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MT Bighorn Sheep - Better run for cover

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, getting this arranged for this hunt has been a scramble of the highest degree. Getting a filming permit on two day's notice is nearly impossible, but some great BLM employees said they will get it done.

We leave tomorrow, for the promised land of Montana sheep hunting. We are in search of a ram of giant proportions. The tagholder, a buddy of mine, Vaughn, has been pretty much living up there. Each week, he is joined by some other friends who are dedicating their time to this once in a lifetime endeavor.

By now, they have looked over most of the rams in the unit. And, they have found a couple whoppers. Vaughn is heading up tonight, and will be joined by Gary, Pat, and Zach, and possibly Les. They are going to try locate the two big ones they spotted last weekend.

We will join them tomorrow, and the cameras will be rolling, as we try to find these rams and film Vaughn putting his tag on one of them. It will not be easy. The lows are forecasted to be single digits, with highs in the teens and low twenties. Plus, these sheep are five miles from the nearest road, so it will be a hoof to get in there, especially with the mountains of camera gear we will be packing. Might fall into that "What the hell was I thinking" category, but the opportunity to film a great guy like Vaughn, on a hunt such as this, is a risk worth taking.

I have felt guilty to not be able to help Vaughn on this hunt, as our filming schedule has had us on the road the entire fall. He is a great friend, and two years ago, when I drew a good Nevada tag, he dropped work and drove down and spent five days helping me find a pronghorn we thought was worthy of the tag. Now that he has had this great tag, I am glad that I will be able to help him.

I just hope the sheep cooperate and are still in the same locations. With Montana's general elk and deer seasons coming up, there will be a lot of guys in the woods starting the weekend after next, and it will probably disrupt the sheep. When you have one located the size of these two, it is time to get serious.

Just a few pics for a teaser, provided courtesy of Zack.

Can't wait to get there tomorrow. So much to clean off my desk, but my mind is not what it should be, after knowing we will be on this hunt.

09Sheep 255.jpg

09Sheep 258.jpg

09Sheep 259.jpg

09Sheep 262.jpg

09Sheep 291.jpg

Holy mass Batman!! He is as big as you promised, and then some:eek: Get out there help Vaughn put him on the ground. Wow!

Good luck Fin, that ram is a whopper.
I will be up there as well this weekend, trying to find the ram we blew a stock on last week.

Custer National Forest in the southeast.

Never been there, but it sure looks promising. I had one a bit smaller than that one w/ some ewes bust across the road going up to Petty Creek back when I lived in Missoula. He was about 30 yds. in front of my PU. Magnificent animals!!

WOW. I'm sure Vaughn will bring back the best the place has to offer. I don't know sheep but I'd say that one's gotta be what a 190+ looks like with ease.

Now you got me thinking about sheep. Some dandies down there.

Attachments

• IMG_4010compress.jpg
    IMG_4010compress.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2,180
  • IMG_4023compress.jpg
    IMG_4023compress.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,418
  • IMG_4039compress.jpg
    IMG_4039compress.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,133
WOW. I'm sure Vaughn will bring back the best the place has to offer. I don't know sheep but I'd say that one's gotta be what a 190+ looks like with ease.

I am sure he will. The guy is a hard core hiker and serious backpack hunter.

I don't know squat about scoring sheep, either, but some real pros who have seen the pics have him from high 190s" to low 200s". They say he makes the magical 40" mark, and the first two circumferences are over 16". I have no idea, but rely on guys who have scored a lot of sheep.

Our taxi friend, Jerry, told me yesterday, that he thinks it is 200", minimum, and he questioned Vaughn's mental state for not shooting it. And to think Vaughn walked away from that ram twice in the last ten days, thinking he has seen one a little bigger. :eek:

The size of the sheep over there is just baffling. That looks like an awesome old ram, can't wait to hear how it goes.

My dream animal right here on the OYO website...cant wait to see the footage!
Good luck Randy...you guys be careful and have a great hunt with some great footage.

Let that sheep walk and you have some serious patience. Perhaps the altitude is affecting his judgment!

That is a great ram and to think something bigger is stopping him from pulling the trigger is awesome! Good luck to the crew and looking forward to some more great hunting footage. Go OYOA!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back