Himalayan Snowcock (long & pic heavy)

Sweet pictures and story. I've heard of hunting these birds before but never dreamed it to be that specatular.

Awesome Loren, if anyone could pull that off it would be you. The Holy Grail of Game Birds in North American, Super Congrats, JLG.

excellent job--I've seen those buggers while deer hunting and of course I had no shotgun to shoot --what a shame--- a himalayan snow pecker is a true trophy no doubt--again mega congrats.....chris

Way Cool!!! Big congrats!! I hunted there for those a few years back and all we saw were the SR-71 views... The guy I went with has taken 4 from there, but he never took his dog for fear of it going off a cliff. Thanks for sharing a great writeup and pics.

Thanks for comments everyone. Glad you all enjoyed the story & pics.

I think this hunt will go down as one of my most memorable ever. In a lot of ways because I brought Tucker along and I'll never have another dog like him again. I have now shot thirteen different upland species over him. There was another hunter I ran into on the way out who said a dog last year went over a cliff after a bird. I wasn't too worried with Tucker although for awhile I was thinking leaving the e-collar at home was a big mistake. That was the first time I have ever run him since he was a pup without one (because I just didn't want to carry it and rarely need it with him anymore). I would not, however, take one of our younger brits on this hunt. I think most will agree anyway that a dog is typically going to hurt more than help with these birds.

The snowcock's now in the freezer whole. I'll have it mounted. That was one reason I came out a day early -- I didn't want the bird ruined. I was able to keep it cold by putting it in a bag in the lake and then hike out early while it was still cool. Probably the only bummer of the trip was not connecting on the second bird. It would have been sweet to have one for the taxidermist and one for the dinner table.

Pointer, I dug up your old snowcock thread curious as to how big your buddy's birds were, but the pics are gone. He must have eaten some of his... how did they taste?

Jose, FT in a can is in select markets. It showed up in the Boise area earlier this summer.

JLG, let me know when you and CDB are ready for this trip and we'll make it happen... ;)

Last edited:
Billy- I"ll have to ask how the tasted. IIRC the first two went to the taxidermist. Way cool looking birds though. Sorta like a chukar on steriods. I couldn't find any field pics, but here's a couple of one of his birds after being mounted:
snowcock2.jpg

snowcock1.jpg

I guess I missed this one when I was antelope hunting. Cool hunt and incredible photos!

Looks great Loren! Looks like a great time as well and glad you were able to bring Tucker along for the hunt!

Ron

Saw it on the Upland Journal and it just gets better each time I read it...Great job again! :hump:

Very cool story, missed it the first time around. The mount looks good.

Thanks for renewing this thread, Moosie. Never seen or heard of this species. Amazing country

Back