A taxidermy wreck

if its possible to think that far ahead, save the money on plywood and build headers where you want to hang things. get a 2x12 and a piece of 1/2 inch osb to put in between them. cut them to the size betwen the studs, should be 14 1/2 inches, and nail them into the sides of the studs. now you have a rock solid backer that will hold anything you want to hang. been using this method for cabinets for years.

cut out that piece of drywall, then square it up. cut a new piece to the same size. cut a 1x4 8 inches longer than the width, or top to bottom. screw these pieces in place. then screw the new drywall to the 1x4's. no taping necessary.

sorry to see that happen Fin.

Randy, what a bummer. The proper fix would be since you have Sheetrock damage I'd open the damaged area if you're planning to put the bull in the same spot and add a blocker between the studs! Then you'll have a solid block to mount the bull to.

I'm sure the mount was brought back from the dead, just like this thread.

You were not kidding about not being the handi-man/landscraper type were you?
It's OK.Most of the ones I've seen are right there with you.

Never Mind.
Bummer.

Makes a guy sick! We got a deer of my grandpas mounted a few years ago and hung it for him about 12 feet in a spiral staircase on a stud and somehow the thing fell to its demise a few months later.

This ^

...Or just take all the drywall off that wall, put 3/4 plywood on the entire wall and drywall back over the top, then you can hang anywhere you want on it.

Nope. All mounts are relegated to one room in the house, the "Randy Room," a room fully occupied by what she terms "Dead animals."

I know the feeling, at least you get a room with sheetrock. Mine is our storm room/gun room. It is a complete concrete room in the basement under the porch. There is one mount displayed in the house. It is a Euro mount I did myself of a hog my son shot last year in Texas. She thinks it looks like pumpa from Lion king and she likes it.

My sons buck is hanging in his room. I have odd fear of that happening to one of my heads for some reason. They have been hanging for a long time and not fallen but in the back of my mind I feel like it is a matter of time before one takes a deep 6.

It is a simple matter to avoid this kind of problem by shooting nothing larger than a forkhorn. Trust me on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back