"Appaloosa"

noharleyyet

Put this one on your list. Ed Harris directed. Harris & Viggo Mortensen do a great job. Exceptional authenticity.

looks good....haf to see it.

Based on a 2005 Robert B. Parker novel...story follows the book fairly accurately, IIRC. "Resolution" is Parker's sequel. I'll be trying to locate a copy tomorrow.

I want to see this one too.

Thanks for the review, now I'll make it a point to see it. . .

;);)

kind of long and drawn out with not a whole lot of action and Renee Zellweger totally ruins it.....a good flick but not even close to Unforgiven or Butch Cassidy

I finally rented this - I'm not much for sitting and watching TV. I thought it was an excellent movie, and enjoyed the period atmosphere and apparent authenticity. Also, being a fan of New Mexico,I enjoyed the setting. There could have been at least a couple more gunfights...but I enjoyed the movie. Now I'll have to find Parker's novels.

I just watched this last night, too. I thought it was good but not great. I kind of agree with Buckmania. It dragged in parts and my wife and I were totally confused by Zellweger's character. It wasn't so much her acting, but the character didn't make sense. She comes to town and then, BOOM, her and Ed Harris are an item? Did this take days, weeks, months, years??? I never really understood that. I agree the gunfights and the rest of the movie were good, but the whole love story, even though it was a very important plot point, actually drug the movie down. I give it 3/5.

Zellwegger, no matter the role, is simply not very watchable but her character is pretty accurate with the book...a weak willed manipulating female in an era where unattached frontier women were generally held in low regard.

I think Vigo's character summed her up pretty well - a woman who has to be with the boss hoss. I'm not so sure that unattached women were in low esteem as much as they would have a difficult time economically, unless they were a whore. Zellwegger's character was giving it away in exchange for security....same thing, actually, just serially monogamous.

This is absolutely the worst and slowest and most poorly scripted and directed western I've ever seen! And I like Ed Harris!

As I said before - I enjoyed it. I thought the acting was great, the authenticity was great and the period appearance of the characters and places was great. I would have liked a couple more good fights, but that would not have been true to the book.

Back