Guide School Operator Pleads Guilty To Poaching

MNHunter

4/27/2007
Division of Wildlife

Guide School Operator Pleads Guilty To Poaching

Gary R. Jordan, 58, President of the Colorado Outdoor Adventure Guide School (COAGS) located near Victor, has pled guilty in Fourth Judicial District Court to unlawfully hunting elk without a proper and valid license, and the illegal take of a Samson bull elk. Original charges also included making a false statement in the application of a hunting license, forgery, and criminal impersonation.

Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) Officer Tonya Sharp received information on September 17, 2006 that Jordan shot a bull elk during the 2006 muzzleloader season. Through investigations and interviews, Sharp determined that Jordan did not have an elk license for that season, but instead used an employee’s license. Sharp recovered the elk meat from a Colorado Springs meat processor and the antlers from a Teller County taxidermist.

On October 19, a search warrant was executed at COAGS by DOW wildlife officers, USFS law enforcement, and the Teller County Sheriff’s department and Jordan was placed under arrest. Subsequent interviews with students attending the COAGS Pro-Guiding School indicated they assisted in packing out the elk.

Jordan was assessed $12,729 in fines. An administrative hearing will be held to determine if his hunting and fishing privileges will be revoked and for how long. Jordan has forfeited the muzzleloader rifle used in the crime. He has also been ordered to donate $2,000 to DOW’s Operation Game Thief program that awards payments to citizens who turn in poachers.

Sharp points out that more and more prosecutors in Colorado are getting tough on poachers. “This case is great example of how the Division of Wildlife and the District Attorney’s Office in the Fourth District worked together to make sure justice was served.”

That should hurt business a bit. What an idiot, didn't he know that not only his hunting priveleges were at stake, but also his livelihood? The answer is yes, but it didn't stop him.

that guy got nailed pretty good compared to this ass clown:
he poached this deer on someone else's property...probably shot from his car window.and they dont do chit to him!

Montgomery County – On Tuesday, April 10, Willie Leonard Lowe, Jr., 49, of Mt. Airy was found guilty in Montgomery County District Court of using a rifle to hunt deer in a county restricted to shotgun only and hunting without written permission.

Maryland Natural Resources Police charged Lowe on November 3, 2006 after receiving anonymous complaints of illegal hunting activity in the area of Long Corner Road. NRP charged Lowe after catching him retrieving an 8-point buck from a field after dark that was shot earlier in the day. He received a $50 fine plus $22.50 court costs, 12 months probation and is required to pay restitution to the State in the sum of $300.

"and the illegal take of a Samson bull elk."
What is a Samson Elk??

Samson was a majestic bull elk that was poached in the Estes Park area back in the 90’s. When it was realized that the poacher was fined only a few hundred dollars there was a public outcry to raise the penalties for illegally killing wildlife.

The Samson law now adds mandatory surcharges for killing trophy game animals in addition to the normal fines. The added amounts range from 4,000 dollars for a trophy antelope to 25,000 for a bighorn sheep.

Title 33-6-109. - Wildlife - Illegal possession [Sampson Law]

(3.4) (a) In addition to the criminal penalties listed in subsection (3) of this section, there shall be assessed a further penalty in the following amount for each of the following big game animals illegally taken:

(I) For each bull elk with at least six points on one antler beam, ten thousand dollars;

(II) For each mule deer buck with an inside antler spread of at least twenty-two inches, ten thousand dollars;

(III) For each whitetail deer buck with an inside antler spread of at least eighteen inches, ten thousand dollars;

(IV) For each bull moose, ten thousand dollars;

(V) For each bighorn sheep with a horn length of at least one-half curl, twenty-five thousand dollars;

(VI) For each mountain goat, ten thousand dollars;

(VII) For each pronghorn antelope with a horn length of at least fourteen inches, four thousand dollars.

I got lost, what does Montana have to do with this, is that another case?

The guides from that guide school, are they trained like their president does things? Man, CO, has a problem there, is that school any good for anything?

I spent an hour on the phone with Joe of DOA Outfitter and it is a crime what Mt game wardens have done to this man. I thought the law was to protect us as hunters not try to destroy us or make a profit from hard working men.

This is a post I put up from Monte who you will see is a defender of those being accused wrongly.

Is this the same Joe that pleaded guilty to committing crimes?
Maryland man pleads guilty to illegal outfitting in Phillips County
Andrew McKean

Monday, April 23, 2007
Headlines - Region 6
This article was Archived on Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Print
Maryland man convicted for illegal outfitting in Phillips County

A Maryland man has pleaded guilty to illegal outfitting and numerous other violations after a Fish, Wildlife & Parks investigation revealed extensive wildlife crimes last fall in Phillips County.

Joe Boyd Austin of Mardella Springs, Maryland accepted a plea agreement this month in Phillips County Justice Court in which he pleaded guilty to five counts of acting as an outfitter/guide without a license, four counts of wasting waterfowl and upland birds, four counts of unlawful possession of illegally taken wildlife and other counts of hunting without a license, loaning big-game licenses and even killing a protected shorebird.

Austin is required to pay restitution and other charges totaling $10,000 for the various offenses. Another $3,485 of restitution will be used to reimburse Fish, Wildlife & Parks for the costs of last year’s investigation that resulted in the charges.

The joint overt and covert investigation revealed that Austin, who is not a licensed outfitter in this state, was advertising via the Internet for guided hunting trips in Montana. His business, DOA Outfitters, informed prospective clients that he specialized in Montana hunting trips for waterfowl and other species. In October 2006, Austin guided two undercover investigators on waterfowl, pheasant and antelope hunts around the Malta and Dodson areas.

The hunting activity occurred on FWP-managed Wildlife Management Areas, Block Management areas, state school-trust land, BLM land and private land. While hunting and outfitting illegally, Austin took over-limits of waterfowl, hunted pheasants without a license, wasted edible portions of all birds, hunted antelope without a license and transported all illegally taken wildlife to his place of operation, a bed-and-breakfast outside Dodson.

In addition to the restitution paid to Montana, Austin has been ordered by the court to not own, possess or be in control of any firearms, ammunition, bow and arrow or fishing equipment while he is in Montana. He is required to stay at least 500 feet away from anyone engaged in hunting or fishing in Montana. He is also required to change all advertisements and web pages that refer to providing hunting opportunities and outfitting services in Montana.

“He’s a common thief,” says Malta game warden Mike Lee. “He was stealing business from legitimate outfitters and stealing the resources from the sportsmen of Montana. This case illustrates the lengths that people will go to exploit and profit from the natural resources of the state, and the sad thing is that he apparently didn’t have any lack of customers who were looking for a shortcut to access the state’s wildlife. Prospective clients are responsible for knowing if their guide is licensed and if they adhere to fish and game regulations.”

And, a quick Google search of DOA Outfitters shows information on Montana hunts....

DOA Outfitters offers action filled guided hunts in Montana, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware & Saskatchewan for the following:

- Greater & Lesser Snow Goose Hunting
- Ross Geese Hunting
- Speckle Bellies Hunting
- Canadian Goose Hunting
- Turkey Hunting
- Exotic Sika Deer Hunting (Free Roaming)
- Whitetail Deer Hunting
- Black Bear Hunting (4 Color Phases)
- Duck Hunting
- Mourning Dove Hunting
- Sea Duck Hunting
- Other types of waterfowl hunting
Come experience the breath taking beauty of Montana, Maryland and Virginia's Eastern Shore, Delaware, Saskatchewan, and Washington State as we pursue our game.

Our Hunting Lodge

Hunters young and old are invited to relax and stay at DOA
Outfitters Hunting Lodge. We provide comfortable lodging for up to 10 hunters, complete with separate bath facilities and a cozy hunting den with potbelly stove.

Located in the woods of Wicomico County, Maryland, DOA Outfitters is proud to announce the opening of their newly expanded Hunting Lodge. Rather than drive through the night to reach us in time for the hunt, relax and spend the night with us as part of your hunting adventure.

We provide comfortable lodging for up to eight hunters, complete with separate bath facilities and a cozy hunting den with potbelly stove.

10206 Sharptown Rd.
Mardela Springs, Md 21837

Our Hunting Lodge

Hunters young and old are invited to relax and stay at DOA
Outfitters Hunting Lodge. We provide comfortable lodging for
up to 10 hunters, complete with separate bath facilities and a
cozy hunting den with potbelly stove. Buckeye Lodge offers the opportunity to fish for Rainbow Trout in our private stocked lake. Anglers can enjoy catching Rainbows up to five pounds on fly or spin tackle, fishing from Jon-Boats or Float Tubes.

Guests can enjoy guided or unguided day trips or take advantage of our overnight packages. Lodging is available in our comfortable cabin located on the lake. The number of anglers is limited to ensure the quality of fishing.

Trout fishing is available November 1st through March 15th. Great bass and bluegill fishing is also available with many of the bluegills reaching trophy proportions

JC, I'll put this back up sence you wanted to continue

By Monte;

Hello everyone I read with great interest about DOA OUTFITTERS situation with Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks I to along with 4 family members went thru a horrific nightmare where Montana manufactured a case againg us with 17 citations that WERE TOTALLY FALSE, A THREE YEAR ORDEAL resulted in the case being dropped by a Judge because Montana did not have any evidence to present in court. Montana Game Wardens wanted myself and family to make a plea bargain exactly as in DOA Outfitters case. DOA plead guilty because Montana places a financial burden on innocent hunters They operate on the fact that going to court is more costly harder and almost impossible to win in that state. Many people have true life factual stories about how Montana pressures sportment into paying absurd fines or face jail time. A hard decision for anyone. In our case We played it out to the end Montana folded and ran because five innocent people were ready to defend their case to the end. This is well documented in a true life book called the Game Wardens Game. it includes my side their allegations my allegation and the actual court documents where they Montana used planted DNA cow elk meat. Used wired illegal undercover informants, manufactured 17 citation on my family, threatened myself and family. Had no evidence what so ever, but tried to get me to rat on people I had no knowledge about. Montana is know to be unscrupulous, dishonest and unethical in their investigative techniques. They have protection from county judges and are not held responsible for their actions. The Truth is not free in Montana it will cost u hundred of thousand of dollars to be found Not Guilty of anthing concerning citations in Montana.

Get the book u be the judge and jury then u look at DOA Outfitters situation, My situation and a host of other situations where Montana nonchalantly screws over innocent people. Or call 605-267-4811 In addition my e-mail to order the book can be gotten AT DOA OUTFITTERS, [email protected] OR Prairie Hearth Publishing 1-800-567-7959 You as a hunter and sportsman need this information. a second book on Montana and their entrapment techniques, use of of bounty to reward informant, make tape recording and case where the actually violate hunters Right is in the works now. Only because legit people that have had thier rigs violated are now speaking out againt them. Thank u Monte

I spoke with Joe the owner of DOA for an hr this morning getting his side of the story.

I spoke with Joe the owner of DOA for an hr this morning getting his side of the story.

Did his side of the story include whether or not he was licensed to outfit in Montana?

I'll tell you what I think. After talking with the man for more then a hours and hearing his side of the story and how the things didn't happen the way the game wardens make them out to look and with what he was charged with something is very fishy with the charges. His fine was very low for what the accused him of doing. He siad he pled guilty to just get out of the state. They would not provide a lawyer to him. He has no money to speak of. If what they accused him of was true I don't see him getting out of jail anytime soon if he would have been charged with what they say he did.

I haven't read Monte's book but I will and from what he told me I dought many hunters from this area will be spending there money in Mt. I know I will not. I understand there are a few states around Mt . that are fed up with the practices of the game commision there.

Wouldn't provide him a lawyer?
That's a violation of his civil rights... If that's truly the case, I imagine a federal violation suit against the state would be in order.
Fishy story at best...

Wouldn't provide him a lawyer?
That's a violation of his civil rights... If that's truly the case, I imagine a federal violation suit against the state would be in order.
Fishy story at best...

it was probably determined he could afford his own lawyer.

I'll tell you what I think. After talking with the man for more then a hours and hearing his side of the story and how the things didn't happen the way the game wardens make them out to look and with what he was charged with something is very fishy with the charges. His fine was very low for what the accused him of doing. He siad he pled guilty to just get out of the state. They would not provide a lawyer to him. He has no money to speak of. If what they accused him of was true I don't see him getting out of jail anytime soon if he would have been charged with what they say he did.

I haven't read Monte's book but I will and from what he told me I dought many hunters from this area will be spending there money in Mt. I know I will not. I understand there are a few states around Mt . that are fed up with the practices of the game commision there.

Devils Advocate - Why would you think someone who is a potential felon would tell you the truth?

I'm with Moosie - I wouldn't apply in MT if I was you.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back