Yeti GOBOX Collection

My Florida Gator Hunt

fairchase

I had a chance to go hunting Alligator hunting in Florida while vacationing with my family. It's 11 ft. 9 1/2 inches, and Pending #1 for Muzzleloader in SCI.
8f24757595eb040369a31bb57acc4be9-.jpg

I noticed that you clobbered him in the brain pan. Good shot. According to what I've read in books about Africa, the brain shot is the only one to take on big lizards. Crocks and gators stand a good chance of swimming away even when hit with a decent body shot. Pls let us know if he "tastes like chicken." DD

Wow, the brain pan is a small target too from what I understand. Lots of restaurants serve alligator, you can see what it tastes like that way! Congratulations on the big one!!

WOW that s a monster!... you coulda made a killing off the meat down here [AZ] those Ohio state fans were paying up the ying/yang for gator meat!... Some dude imported a bunch and ran out... That is a nice trophy... what are your plans for him?

Thanks for the intrest and the responces. This was just such a different hunt than I am use to, really like no other I have ever done, but really fun. Those gators are a trip...real dinosaurs.

Ithaca 37, I'll post the whole story below for you guys, it's fairly detailed with some more photos.

T-bone, They score these gators on total length...tip to tip, thats the only score. I guess it helps when they're fat too because it makes their profile taller, thus longer.

Dangerous dave, I asked about shot options other than the brain and my guides told me no matter what the angle, that is the spot you have to hit. With that said, their brain is about the size of a golf ball, so needless to say I choose my load carefully and practiced quite a bit for a couple of months. My shots (one per gator) were about 40 yds, so with my leupold on high power I felt very confident.
I must say that a bonded .50 cal bullet moving at 1850 fps. is very effective and my guides commented that they had never seen a gator unable to anything but wiggle it's tail a little. Check out photo #3 I am squatting where the gator was laying when the bullet hit.

cjcj, I am having a flat skin done with the mouth open.

Here's my full story:

I just got back from a really great trip and I thought you all would enjoy hearing about my hunt. I still can't believe how well things worked out. The ranch was beautiful, the guides were first class and the trophy quality and amount of wildlife was outstanding.

Outfitter: Silver Lake Preserve (350,000 acres) www.silverlakepreserve.com
Guides: Wayne Zahn and Kyle Jones
Weather: Mostly Sunny 72-82 degrees
Rifle/Ammo Used: .50 Cal. Knight Disc Elite, Leupold 3.5X10 scope, 250 gr.T/C Shockwave bullets, Triple Seven FFg

January 3, 2007

Wanting to find a warmer climate this winter for a pleasant family vacation, my wife and I decided to take our two girls to Disney World in Florida. The thought of traveling to a tropical state like Florida brought dreams of hunting a new and completely different type of animal, the American Alligator. With my wife in charge of theme park details, I was free to contact outfitters in central and southern Florida regarding alligator hunting. I was looking for a guide who could provide me with a daytime spot and stalk alligator hunt and who would allow me to use a muzzleloader. After talking to numerous guides and outfitters about things like fair chase ethics, property size and trophy potential, I booked my hunt with Wayne Zahn, at the 350,000 acre Silver Lake Preserve. Silver Lake Preserve not only met all of my requirements, Mr. Zahn was a very patient gentleman who answered all of my detailed questions promptly. In addition, when I told Wayne I wanted to hunt with a muzzleloader, he was truly excited and welcomed my weapon choice.
For the next few months I tested various powders and bullets at the shooting range and even though quite a few of the bullet and powder combinations I tried were accurate enough for most any big game hunting, I was looking for pinpoint accuracy. My 50 cal. Knight Disc Elite finally showed me that a 250 gr. Bonded Shockwave pushed by 90 grains of FFg Triple Seven would shoot a ragged three shot, one hole group out to about 100 yards with a solid rest. I continued practicing shooting off of shooting sticks even through freezing December, Idaho weather.
After a week of Disney World the day of my hunt could not come soon enough. I arrived at the ranch early, where I was met by Wayne and the ranch’s wildlife biologist Kyle Jones. After a lesson in alligator antimony and a shot at the range to check my muzzleloader, we were ready to hunt.
8dd91940ace58bd42e3bbacb0f04de81.jpg

Throughout the morning we traveled the huge ranch and viewed many small gators.
39b079e4e7953084e02bb0148aaf29f4-.jpg

As the day warmed I finally had the chance to stalk and belly crawl within range of a management gator that would measure nearly 8 feet in length. It took me forever, but I finally controlled my breathing and squeezed off a really good shot…my first alligator rolled once and laid still in the water.
My day was now an official success and after taking a few photos we loaded him up and set out looking for a gator with more size. Wayne and Kyle informed me that there was rumored to be a big alligator living for the past few days in a remote watering hole, so off we went. Sometime around noon we arrived at the pond and together we snuck in towards the water. As I stopped to load and cap my muzzleloader, Wayne crept ahead and got a look at the big bull gator unaware of us as he sunned on the bank next to the water. I completed the final downwind stalk alone, hoping not to spook the gator that was now looking bigger than any reptile I’ve ever seen on the Discovery Channel! Feeling confident with the quartering away shot angle and my solid shooting rest, I quickly picked a spot and gently squeezed the trigger. As the smoke cleared I could see the gator’s giant tail slapping back and fourth, trying to get him self off the bank and into deeper water to no avail. My shot was centered in the alligator’s golf ball sized brain and the bonded Shockwave dispatched the big lizard almost instantly.
fdb5f9b9943b3571cf1c4ebaa9dc55f3-.jpg

As I approached the dead gator I could not believe his size, not only in length but also in girth too! In fact, I think he could have eaten my first gator as a snack! However, it wasn’t until we pulled him out of the water with the pick-up truck were we able to get a grasp of his length and with the alligator still twitching our first measurement was over 11 feet 7 inches. Almost breaking the current SCI muzzleloader record for the American Alligator.
8f24757595eb040369a31bb57acc4be9-.jpg

So, with the help of three other men we loaded the gator into the truck, and headed for the main lodge.
d0e1265bd7c4b61dbb9fb4bbf3c688b2-.jpg

1ad11c7186e6a2394539b96ccc6f53a8-.jpg

Then after a few phone calls and a check to the Safari Club website Wayne, Kyle and I were off to meet Bruce Essen, the local SCI measurer. Bruce documented the Alligator to be exactly 11 feet, 9 ½ inches. Beating the current #1 muzzleloader Alligator by 1 1/2inches! Its weight was estimated to be 600 pounds.
This hunt was really a once in a life opportunity and I cannot thank everyone enough! Bruce Essen was very kind accommodate my schedule and make time to score my trophy. The Silver Lake Preserve is a beautiful place with an abundance of wildlife of all kinds. Wayne and Kyle and all the folks at Silver Lake are really committed to excellence and will do what ever it takes to ensure your hunt is a great success.

01/17/07- I edited this post after finding out that the SCI record book measures not in inches but in feet and inches. Sorry for the confusion. FC

Something jsut moved to the Top 5 on my list... maybe top 2 !!!!!!

Very cool looking, Awesome info and thanx for the pics !!

NICE!! That would definitely be a unique trophy/experience. Heck, I could probably even talk the wife into tagging along on a trip like that! Might leave her on the beach for the shooting part though... ;)

Thanks guys for checking my post.
Its cool to have some hunters appreciate a game animal that’s so different.

While gators are not the most difficult animal to hunt they do have good eyes and a decent sense of smell. So, in that regard they're very similar to other big game when you do a daytime hunt and you're planning a stalk on land. The biggest difference with the alligator is hearing, which is not nearly as devolved as it is with mammals.
They feel vibrations more actually hear, so stepping lightly at close range is a must.
1 pointer, It was actually my wife who planned the trip down south, so really she had to sell me on Disneyworld :)

That's an angle I haven't thought of! Once our kid(s) are old enough to appreciate Disneyland I might have to try to work that one!

Back