Goat and families winter meat 2002

Goat

We don't have to travel very far for deer. The first two were shot about 15 minutes from home in a no vehicle access area (more about this later). I usually look in on this spot starting mid October to see if the snow has started to push deer in. Sure enough the does had started to pile in but not a lot of buck sign. Couldn't get time to hunt again until the end of November. Friday night I made it back home from Vancouver Island and looked ou the window to see a dusting of snow in my honey hole. Told wife to pack lunch and get babysitter cause we were going to fill her doe tag in the morning. Babysitter couldn't get there till 9:00 am. Late start is better than no start and since nobody seems to like my little honey hole I wasn't worried about anyone getting in ahead of me. Drove to the south edge of no vehicle zone and packed up and headed in. Still hunted through open pine for a mile or so, lots of buck sign but no buck tracks in snow, lots of doe. Another .5 mile into the wind and bingo trak about the size of a small moose on the track of a doe. Tracks cut south and started crossing the wind back the way we came, crossed our tracks coming in and cut back again, did this twice. The onlt clearing in front of us was where the truck was parked. Hit the opening and there was doe cutting back into the pines heading back up wind, told wife to get ready but don't shoot until I do, waited 3 or 4 seconds and the buck stepped out at 80yds, 1 150 gr BT in the neck and down he went, jacked a round an dswung over to look for doe, no doe. Wife had shot at the same time and I didn't here it. She shot the poor thing behind the ear with 308. Truck was 15 yds from deer.
fcf97c1d.jpg

fccdc1db.jpg

goat

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back