Tacoma preventative maintenance

MNbowhntr_Mark

I have a 2014 Tacoma with 65k miles on it. Since it’s time for an oil change and I have a hunting trip to South Dakota coming up I thought I should have some preventative maintenance done too. What do you guys think about any of the following?

Flush and fill coolant
Replace front and rear differential fluid
Replace transmission oil
Replace transfer case oil

Inspect your spare! I've gotten plenty of flats out in SoDak.

Where are you at relative to scheduled intervals? If you’re on schedule, just make sure they are all topped off. Check your spare and your emergency equipment.

Where are you at relative to scheduled intervals? If you’re on schedule, just make sure they are all topped off. Check your spare and your emergency equipment.
The regular maintenance schedule says to inspect the differential fluid now especially if you are towing or driving in 4wd a lot. I only tow a small boat a few times a year.

Check you manual. Pretty sure you have a sealed tranny and even if you don’t they recommend not changing your tranny fluid.

The regular maintenance schedule says to inspect the differential fluid now especially if you are towing or driving in 4wd a lot. I only tow a small boat a few times a year.

If you are concerned, it’s cheap to change oil out in differentials. I do mine in my Dodge Ram every 25k, per the service manual.

I have a '98 w/330 & my second Toy 4x4. I would change the oil & check on regular service times for the vehicle. If you have been driving it & servicing regularly/normal, then most of those other fluids will be coming up on service times & could wait til after the trip. If you have been abusing it, then it's a different story.
One thing folks forget to do every once in a while is just putting it in 4x to get the fluids circulating thru. Mine had 36k on it when I got it & my mechanic said he doubted it had ever been run in 4x4 before I got it. I'm talking automatic trans.
Your also coming up on replacing the timing belt around 75k,I would do the all the other fluids then.
If you don't abuse it & service regularly, then you have many miles to go in future. Had 565k on 1st Toyota & it was running fine when I sold it & got current one.

Okay I'm pretty dense. I take my Tacoma to the dealer every 5k for oil change and "multi point inspection" which usually entails checking fluids. Are they completing the recommended service at these intervals? Or is that extra? They usually charge me $35-$50. I have a 2012 with 115k.

I have a 2014 Tacoma with 65k miles on it. Since it’s time for an oil change and I have a hunting trip to South Dakota coming up I thought I should have some preventative maintenance done too. What do you guys think about any of the following?

Flush and fill coolant - Not Necessary
Replace front and rear differential fluid - Not Necessary
Replace transmission oil - Not Necessary
Replace transfer case oil - Not Necessary

C'mon, it's not even broken in yet.

Ditto what LCH & Rancho said .
Unless you have stomped on it since the get go. It also depends on dealership & such.
Get a real manual or do some reading online. I lucked out & had a mech. who had been head mech at local dealership & had gone to Japan for training,he quit the dealership when they were sold & became a typical dealer/rippoff. He took great care of my trucks for 15 yrs & knew his shit....also very reasonable in price.
His best advice on a Toyota was change the oil regularly,don't abuse it & it will last.....

Top off fluids, rotate tires, check spare, and get a new jack because of the bottle jack you were given. Or take a couple short 2x6's 12-18" the stack underneath your bottle jack in case of mud, snow, or just need a little higher clearance to start...

It's a yota, change oil check air filterand all basic fluids espically wiper! drop/check spare and go

I've had a few Toys....have a 2004 Highlander and 2012 Lexus now. Gave a 96 Camry to the MIL and it's rockin' 225K. The engines/drive trains in general are bombproof. Just do the oil/filter at regular intervals then do the timing belt when recommended, usually around 60Kish for the first change. My wife once drove the Camry across town with the radiator bone dry it was chuggin' a little and steam was billowing everywhere but the dang thing didn't miss a beat. Don't sweat it.

I usually recommend following the manufacturer's recommendations butt....Change/check the rear diff often
Towing a little boat trailer has killed more rear axles than big heavy trailers ever will.
Axle seals are designed to keep things in (gearoil and pressure) better than they keep things out (water, dirt) when you dunk a warm axle into cool water you cool the axle rather quickly creating a vacuum inside of the axle that likes to suck water past the seals even if they are good.
It's not ok to have any water in the axle

I have a 2014 Tacoma with 65k miles on it.

Hahahahahaha, don't worry too much brother. My '08 has 143k+, has been wrecked at least 5 times, rolled at 70, rebuilt twice, franken-flat bed put on, and towed at the max for many miles. They are tough if you change fluids you mentioned and keep an eye on wear parts. Like, stupid tough.

One thing many overlook is checking the front CV boots regularly for any punctures (or holes worn in it if you have a lift, that increases CV angle which can cause the ridges to touch). Only blew a CV once, but it ruined my day for sure. They are also less than fun to swap out.

Thanks everybody! Wow lots more responses than I expected. This is my first new truck so I’m trying to take extra care of the preventative stuff so it does last 200k or more. I talked to the dealer today and they don’t recommend flushing coolant or doing tranny until 100k. Just top offs if needed. He did say you can do the differential every 30 or 40k. I might consider that since it will be in anyway.

Thanks again everyone! Definitely doing the spare tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back