Caribou Gear Tarp

Episode 77: Shane Mahoney Again

Nameless Range

This was another great podcast with Shane Mahoney.

One thing he spoke about that made me think a bit was something he said about his project - The Wild Harvest Initiative. Which is basically quantifying all the lbs of food that are acquired via hunting and fishing wildgame world wide into an index of sorts. A pretty cool project. He said, "If we were to manage those lands to maximize wildlife, it could be vastly more." Obviously this was one sentence in an hour and half conversation, but it struck me as something I wouldn't anticipate him to say. Managing lands to maximize wildlife, or maximizing the wildlife we harvest for food, could run into some controversial decision points. Managing lands for wildness may run against maximizing wildlife on the landscape. I'm sure there is far more nuance to his position, and I would bet he means that managing the world in a more sustainable way would generate a net-increase in wildlife. Any way, I thought it was interesting.

As usual, he said numerous one-liners worth remembering. So much so that half a dozen times on the drive to Helena from Missoula yesterday I paused the podcast to voice-to-text them into my phone notes.

"Hunters need to remind everyone of the things we stand for that matter to everybody."

"Society admires conservation."

"Society is moving in a different direction and support for hunting is not guaranteed."

"There isn't a we and them." (hunters and anti-hunters)

Thanks for another great podcast Randy.

Last edited:
I always enjoy listening to him speak. This podcast left me wondering though.

How do you get this food out to consumers so they can try it in is glory when you cant get it to a restaurant or on a menu. Most of those folks he mentioned in San Francisco don't have people in their circles that are hunters that would be willing to share their harvest or have the knowledge to properly prepare it. So that means for them to try wild game, they need a source of it. How would that be sourced in a restaurant or venue that they would attend? It is my understanding that the USDA makes it illegal to harvest wild animals and then send them to a restaurant where it would be prepared and then sold. This requires animals to be domesticated and farmed to just get it on a plate in front of those people so they can say, Hmm that's good, I would like to have more of it. Which is in turn is counter productive to his Wild Harvest Initiative.

I am sure there is a lot more educated people involved in this that can help me understand it. This was just the thought that ran thru my simple brain while listening.

I work everyday to single handedly change the hearts and minds of people around here. Fortunately, nearly everyone I run across is very open to the idea of hunting for food and eating wild game. That doctor he spoke to sounds like a badass. ;)

I always enjoy the podcasts with Shane. I especially liked the part where he talked about sharing the harvest. I've never offered anyone a roast of beef and wouldn't be excited if someone offers me one, now wild game absolutely, I've shared the harvest and had it share with me. Great stuff!!

I always enjoy the podcasts with Shane. I especially liked the part where he talked about sharing the harvest. I've never offered anyone a roast of beef and wouldn't be excited if someone offers me one, now wild game absolutely, I've shared the harvest and had it share with me. Great stuff!!

Shane was a great guest. First time I had listened to him and I’m glad Randy had him on the podcast. Thanks for continuing to spread the word.

For those of you who like to hear Shane Mahoney speak as I do may want to check out his podcast. “Conservation Matters with Shane Mahoney”

For those of you who like to hear Shane Mahoney speak as I do may want to check out his podcast. “Conservation Matters with Shane Mahoney”

Great share... checking now.

Shane raises some great questions about the topic of stewardship, especially about the numbers of game we harvest and manage for.

Back