PEAX Equipment

Hunting in college

justintime1966

hello, I am headed off to Wyoming for college next year. the school I plan on attending requires freshmen to live in dorms for the first year and as an avid hunter this is an issue. Where do I keep my meat. Ive thought about finding a meat locker I can rent or just getting 2 or 3 mini freezers but even that wouldn't be enough as I plan to hunt big and small game year round. I just need to find a place to store mass amounts of wild game over a long period of time so if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

the rifle and bow storage wouldn't be a problem as the police department have a program where you can store your bows and rifles at the station and you have access to them any time.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to make friends with some upperclassmen who live off campus. Make an arrangement and keep your stuff at their house. That's what I did several years ago while living on campus.

haha thanks for the advice, how would I go about that?... like hey, we are friends right, can i keep like 450 pounds of raw meat in your freezer?

Supply the freezer and share the meat and you will have several friends willing to store the meat.

If you live in a dorm I would think that you would be on the "Meal Plan". Most dorms do NOT have places to cook. So the question is why do you need the meat?

I love to hunt and understand that part. Could you donate the meat to a local organization.

Good luck to all
the dog

i never thought about that, thank you for the advice... the dorms have little lockers that are just big enough for a grill and a few bags of charcoal so i planned on doing that.

I brought my shotgun with me to college and took it out zero times my freshman year. Most dorms will have communal kitchens, but you'll want to take advantage of your meal plans as time will be a premium. One of my friends would occasionally bring like 10-15lbs of venison to keep in the (again, communal) kitchen freezer. He lived about 6 hours away and so would just bring a bit back with him when he went home for holidays.

I'm with most other posters - hold off on going too crazy until you can move off-campus after your first year.

Don't wanna push you to another forum cause this is a great place, but over on Eastmans there is a guy(IowaBuck) who is currently going to WU that is from Iowa that does quite a bit of hunting. It might not be a bad idea to jump on over there, look him up and ask him a couple questions on how he handled things. Might be a able to offer some advice.

http://forum.eastmans.com/showthread.php/17410-Wyoming-General-Elk-Success

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back