MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

SUV based hunting rigs

INJones

Lots of good info for trucks as hunting rigs in this forum!

What are the thoughts on SUV based hunting rigs, like a Suburban 4x4 or Toyota 4Runner for example.

Same recommendations for these vehicles as for trucks?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks for the info.

Scott

How much does the roof rack hold? We once put 3 whitetail doe on top of an Ford Explorer. Got lots of looks driving home, but the roof held up.
You need good, solid suspension. As long as it is built for off road I would say they work fine. Good tires and reliability starting at cold temps.
You could sleep in the back maybe also.
Sometimes a narrower vehicle get back in on roads a wider truck cannot.
How well does it pull a trailer would also be a question, might need to bring an atv or haul home a big bull. Antlers are hard to get into a suburban.

I had an Xterra about 10 years ago. pretty capable off roader but severely limited for room. Had to pull a small trailer anytime I went on longer trips.

I'm a firm believer that the best hunting rig is someone else's. Otherwise I like the cheap enough not to worry about option. I need my truck for work and family trips so taking it into the nasty places I sometimes end up isn't a good idea. I picked up an old suburban a few years ago for $1000 and never felt better about having a windshield crack, tree branch scrape, rock dent etc. I sold the suburban in February for $700 and bought a Ford expedition that was built as a fleet model. Front bucket seats with no center console so I'm building a custom console/armrest/gun rack/ammo holder/fly rod rack for between the seats. The floor is vynal as is the back seat. It's old enough to have a solid rear axle and I can chain up all 4. Once it's done it should be a perfect hunting rig.

You need good, solid suspension. As long as it is built for off road I would say they work fine. Good tires and reliability starting at cold temps.

Before I gave it to my wife, I hunted out of my 2008 Nissan Armada. I put a 3" leveling kit on it in order to fit 'Real' tires. We still use it camping in the summer (it now just has standard A/T tires since my wife mostly drives it around town) and we typically camp in the same areas that I camp to hunt and fish in the fall and it does great. It hauled a number of Elk and a couple of deer in the back (just a tarp on the floor of the cargo bay keeps it clean).

The only issue I ever had was that the suspension in the majority of SUV's are NOT built for heavy off-road abuse. On 2 occasions I bent my sway bar links into the shape of a 'C' hitting holes on what I would consider an "OK" road that I have driven dozens of times in my Tundra since and never had an issue. As long as you realize the limitations they are basically like a pickup with a permanent topper.

As wytex said - also very comfortable to sleep in.

Just reminded me, too...my nephew and brother-in-law swear by Ford Expeditions (mainly they are pulling our rafts all summer, but we hunt some nasty country in those, as well). TO my whole point about 'realize the limitations' - my nephew sent me this pic from last Friday night's turkey hunt - I may have gotten my pickup stuck in this spot, too, but there's absolutely no way an Expedition was making it through this hellhole after a rain:

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 9.02.44 AM.jpg

Just about any of todays and heck even yesterday's SUV's are built off an existing pickup platform. Yes some of them have a slightly different frame, suspension, etc but that can be worked around.

Hunting rigs by my definition are beat up, trusty, and can be fixed with bailing wire, electrical tape, and some back woods creativity. I would look for older suburban's, Tahoe's, Expedition's, Excursions, Explorers, 4Runners, Yukon's, and certain Jeeps. That picture above is just that a picture of a stuck rig, I don't see chains, I don't even see a MT type tire. Looks slick as snot, and speed could have been a factor. Having a pickup vs an SUV in that situation would not have mattered.

Things I would want, solid axle rear, V8, bench seats in rear, capability to sleep in the back, and a giant fuel tank.

All of my hunts have been out of SUVs, an Escape and a Durango, since they have been the only vehicles I own that are reliable enough to get me there and back. The only real issue I've had with them has been the lack of ground clearance. I've got plenty of room for my stuff and space to sleep inside.

Now if I were to build or buy a vehicle specifically for western hunting, it would definitely be a truck. I know there are more off-road friendly SUVs like 4-runners, Xterras, and Wranglers, but a bed is hard to beat for hauling game and gear.

It would be pretty tough to beat a 100/200 series Toyota Land Cruiser. They are tough trucks and made to last. If I went the SUV route that's what I would get no question.

Only drawback is they are expensive.

I have two 4runners. I love them, no issues hunting out of them at all, and so far I have not missed my pickup. Just carry a tarp/cooler set up for meat. I really like being able to keep all of my gear dry and clean.

That picture above is just that a picture of a stuck rig, I don't see chains, I don't even see a MT type tire. Looks slick as snot, and speed could have been a factor. Having a pickup vs an SUV in that situation would not have mattered.

Haha. You are exactly right. Going back to topic -> my hunting SUV had all of the above (namely the M/T tires and chains) and minus the stock suspension toughness, you're right on.

Beyond the safety gear and proper tires - the absolute, 100% contributing cause leading up to that picture was "over-zealous 27 year old boys". SUV/Pickup/Jeep/Tank - none of those mattered when those 2 kids went careening into the snot :) Nephew already has real tires going on it this week.

I absolutely LOVE my 99 4runner and it's a Billy goat off-road! I would like a Tacoma but MAN they are spendy!!

This thing is comfy, and reliable, and it only cost me $3,200!

I made the trip to WY from Kansas City, hunted several days and came back.... great rig!

Attachments

• 4runner.jpg
    4runner.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,498
My Explorer works as good as a truck for hunting, I'd just like to have a truck to move the junk around that won't fit in the back.

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

I have an 80 Series Land Cruiser (1996)

This vehicle is terrific. Built tough, with solid axles and factory lockers.
Durable, rugged, and goes pretty much anywhere I need to go. Poor gas mileage, but other than that, it's ideal.
I have a rooftop tent on it, along with an awning.

cruiser.jpgcruisercamp.jpg

I made the switch to an SUV after a lifetime of driving fullsize trucks. I have a Nissan Xterra Pro-4x with all the added off road stuff. To be honest, over the last 2 years, its probably made a better rig than a pickup truck. I am usually by myself, so if I roll up to a trail head, Ive got the backseats out, and have a perfectly flat area to lay out my airpad and sleep, totally protected from the elements, and if it gets crazy cold, I am just an arms length away from all the heat I need! I find myself just camping out of my X out of convenience alot. Last year I bought a nice military surplus M101 trailer that I am in the process of turning into a camping/utility trailer. That way, if I find I need to take more stuff, say family camping for a week, or haul something, I have the utility of a pickup in that trailer.. For me, its worked out well.

I've had a couple 4runners 1993 and 2000. Top notch vehicles in stock format.

I just needed more space since I'm often hunting with kids or friends. I do miss the compactness of the older 4 runners and the locking rear diff got me unstuck more than twice.

Here is a thought from the peanut gallery......for my money (granted I am currently driving a 95 YJ) the best dollar for dollar suv rig is a Jeep Cherokee XJ. Look for a 87-90 with the high pinion Dana 30 front axle and the Dana 44 rear (fairly hard to find and the 90 and forward Chrysler 8.25 is your second choice) and the 4.0L engine. That is a really good set up for all the way up to 35" tires (maybe 37s), bullet proof drive train and cheap to work on. Also, you have the "you can get ANYTHING for a Jeep" community. Once I get past the novelty of having a convertible I thin it will be my next trail rig. With the 4.0 you can haul a fairly decent trailer as well. Thought I would just stir the pot a little ;)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back