Caribou Gear

Ep. 40 Drone and "ethics" question?

potsy89

Hey Randy,
I am new to the forum, your podcast, and your youtube channel. I just listened to episode 40 on your podcast talking about drones and "fare chase vs non fair chase and ethical vs non ethical". I would love to get your take on "tree stand" hunting, or using "food plotters or bait"? To me thats just "grocery shopping", it takes all the advantage away from the animal just like drones. You speak on your "personal relationship and respect" with the animals you hunt and I hope to have those same experiences. Im extremely green to hunting and just like to know you thoughts.

Anyone who has an opinion, please help me understand.

I don't tree stand hunt or "food plot" hunt being in Montana and hunting the animals I hunt. In all honesty how else would you propose someone in the midwest or east to hunt deer? It's almost completely covered in forests (except the ag fields) that are loud to walk through hunting an animal that is as skiddish as they get. I really don't see any ethical problems with tree stands or the food plots.

Disclaimer: Food plots could be ag fields or planted specifically for the deer

One of the great things about hunting, is that you can chart your own course regarding tactics. Laws and regulations lay out the parameters. Geographic locations and terrain will also narrow down how you hunt, as well as what species you are pursuing. Local traditions also play a part.

Your concerns about Tree Stands and Food Plots show that you are indeed Green to Hunting. That is not bad, I had a blast at that stage! Most as was referenced above of the Food Plot Hunters are indeed eastern hunters. I am going to use where I hunt as an example, we hunt an area that used to be a large Hardwood Bottom that was cut for the production of Pine trees. After a short period the pines, vines and briars grow into a jungle that you cannot hunt like you would out west. Most of us have to set up on Pipeline R/Ws or streamside Management areas where it offers a view of the Deer. So, I hunt methods that seem strange to Western Hunters, so what? When out west I hunt like a westerner and have done alright, but you like your prey have to adapt to the situation that you are given. Best of Luck. John

Your concerns about Tree Stands and Food Plots show that you are indeed Green to Hunting. That is not bad, I had a blast at that stage! Most as was referenced above of the Food Plot Hunters are indeed eastern hunters. I am going to use where I hunt as an example, we hunt an area that used to be a large Hardwood Bottom that was cut for the production of Pine trees. After a short period the pines, vines and briars grow into a jungle that you cannot hunt like you would out west. Most of us have to set up on Pipeline R/Ws or streamside Management areas where it offers a view of the Deer. So, I hunt methods that seem strange to Western Hunters, so what? When out west I hunt like a westerner and have done alright, but you like your prey have to adapt to the situation that you are given. Best of Luck. John

Thanks, that makes sence. Dont get me wrong I wasnt trying to trash one style of hunting or the other. I was just kinda wondering where the line is on technology. That will obviously be different for different people, as long as it's within the law, more power to you.

Back