Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Episode 46 - backstage in WI

mrasm282

Answer to your question about backtags. First off, WI no longer has backtags (2015 was the last year). When we did have them, they were only issued for deer and bear. Each backtag was individually numbered to identify the Hunter, and what tags they possessed. Their purpose was twofold - one, private landowners could use them to identify trespassers/violators. Two, wardens could check a hunter's license without having to walk up to them (as well as identify people who they saw violating).

Some folks are pretty upset about backtags going away in WI, but I am not one of them.

Hope this answers your question. Love the podcast!

I never liked the backtags when I hunted in Wisconsin. For me they were an annoyance in the brush and in the wind. Good riddance.

I'm a lifetime Wisconsin hunter and am glad they are gone. In 25 years of rifle hunting in Wisconsin I have never seen a game warden while hunting private land, not once. bow hunting public land is a different story and have been checked a few times at parking/access areas by wardens who stopped me and checked my license and divers license so I saw no reason whatsoever for the back tag, except to loudly rub on the tree while in a treestand or to put holes in good jackets when displaying them. most people who are going to violate aren't going to walk around on public land wearing blaze orange and a rifle back tag or not.

Back