PEAX Equipment

How many acres does your state have?

duckhunt

Ive seen a lot of talk about transfer of public lands. Here in Iowa we do not have federal, blm, or forest service lands. All we have is state and county land. So I was thinking how many acres of public land are there in other states. I researched Iowa and it looks like we have about 266 thousand acres of state land. I couldn't find acres of county land but I can say there is not much. How many acres are in your state?

Like 12 million acres here is MN between state and feds. Over a million acres in my home county!

Ive been past Duluth. Awsome country up there. About ten years ago a group of us went to the canoe boundry waters on Brule lake. Absolutely loved that trip.

Keep in mind that the state lands in the western US are controlled by state land boards and ARE NOT public land. They are completely different that the state lands in the east.

Keep in mind that the state lands in the western US are controlled by state land boards and ARE NOT public land. They are completely different that the state lands in the east.

Very important. It differs by state (watch Randy's youtube series on the land transfer examples by state for more), but for example - here in CO, by default State Trust Lands are NOT open to hunting/fishing/camping. There are some that are (these are listed on the CPW website and in an annual guide), but the CPW needs to lease them from the state explicitly for that purpose. E.g. - my BIL's family sold some land around their ranch to the state many years ago and the CPW leases it for hunting access. It is one of (relatively) few in the state.

Ive seen a lot of talk about transfer of public lands. Here in Iowa we do not have federal, blm, or forest service lands. All we have is state and county land. So I was thinking how many acres of public land are there in other states. I researched Iowa and it looks like we have about 266 thousand acres of state land. I couldn't find acres of county land but I can say there is not much. How many acres are in your state?

Iowa counties average around 1500 acres of public land, not all of it is open to hunting though. Iowa also has u.s fish and wildlife, nature conservancy, and a growing amount of private land open to public hunting.

500+K acres listed on the website for the state of Indiana. They do not have a category listed for National Wildlife Refuges or Army Corp of Engineers, so I don't know if those were included or not. I'm guessing they may have been rolled in with USFS or State, but not positive, as some of those are "leased" to the state for public access. It also does not include recent acquisitions by the state that are open.

More than all other states combined at about 105,000,000 ac. In addition, about 220,000,000 ac are federal (~37% of all federal land).

State land ownership has its pluses as well. Lots more freedom on state owned/managed lands here than federal lands. We are in no imediate threat of sale, as most land in Alaska is quite remote, and/or basically worthless for anything other than leaving as is.

More than all other states combined at about 105,000,000 ac. In addition, about 220,000,000 ac are federal (~37% of all federal land).

State land ownership has its pluses as well. Lots more freedom on state owned/managed lands here than federal lands. We are in no imediate threat of sale, as most land in Alaska is quite remote, and/or basically worthless for anything other than leaving as is.

WOW thats alot of public land. Planning on making a trip up there with the wife within the next couple years.

Very cool to see the numbers in one big chart... Indiana still has the same amount of acres per hunter as New Jersey at 0.1 even though New Jersey has 15.7% open to hunting and Indiana only has 2.2%.

i have not read most of the previous posts...due to a lack of time.... but Mt has about 96 million acres total, and there is about 36 million acres of public lands(if memory serves correct)..... and we are in no danger of losing them, even if Trump is elected.... the fear mongering is unreal....

I am personally more afraid of a public that will vote Hillary....who ever said, "do not fear one man(Obama), one person can ruin the United States, rather fear the public that elected him the 2nd time"......

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back