Bear's Ear National Monument

TheDudeAbides

So,

Utah Land Grabbers Mike Lee & Rob Bishop, and SFW are creating heat on the issue of the potential of Bear's Ear National Monument.

From my understanding that generally national monuments that are managed by BLM or USFS are open to hunting and those managed by NPS are not open to hunting.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4159848-155/utah-guv-calls-pro-bears-ears-monument

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bears-ears-map.jpg

I think I am for it as long as it allows hunting like the other 1.9 million acre national monument in southern Utah The Grand Staircase Escalante.

If it were placed in NPS possession, then the hardest to draw elk tag in Utah (San Juan Early Rifle) would vanish and the pressure to pass legislation would increase from the Grabbers.

I think it would great for it to be a protected public land asset if it is protected in the hands of BLM or USFS.

Thoughts on this?

I agree. If hunting isn't allowed to will just give more fuel to and validate the Bishop team.
I do believe the Bighorn canyon NRA in southern MT is managed by NPS and open to hunting though.

El Malpais National Monument in NM allows hunting on a large chunk & in the Wilderness Conservation area.

Hunting will still be allowed on the monument according to the proposal. I'm not too worried about it. It will stop mineral development on 1.9 million acres which is a big chunk of land, but Rob Bishop has been promising protection for the area for 3 years now and barely introduced legislation a couple weeks ago. IMO he thought he would try to run out the clock on the Obama administration and I bet Obama declares this monument before he leaves office. Everyone in the area will blame Obama, but they should blame Rpb Bishop who failed to get a decent bill put in time to pass congress. If the area has no protection in the exiting days of Obama, I would give it an 80% chance of designation. Access should remain much the same, Rob Bishop, Mike Lee, and the likes are all in bed for oil, gas, and coal and that's the strong opposition of it. To me, I don't care if t is or isn't designated as long as recreational access remains the same or is very similar to the Grand Staircase Monument, which was also very controversial but is an amazing place, and is great t is protected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back