Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico: Habitat Stamp Proposal

cedahm

I got this in email yesterday. What are thoughts on this and Habitat Stamp programs in general?

For me - I think they are a good idea as long as they aren't complicated. I thought Colorado's was complicated when they first rolled it out and you had to have multiple stamps in certain situations, it wasn't automatically added to apps/licenses, etc. Now it's pretty painless.

The below seems strange in that it's only required for hunting/fishing/trapping on Federal public lands - which could be a little confusing and lead to enforcement increases. But - in general I think as long as the agency gets and uses the funds appropriately, they are a good idea. I don't know enough (beyond a simple understanding of consumer economics and price sensitivity) to say why the states with these general habitat stamps don't just raise license fees a buck or three, but there must be a reason.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, July 22, 2016:

Citizen advisors needed for Habitat Stamp Program

SANTA FE – The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is seeking individuals to serve as volunteer citizen advisors to the Habitat Stamp Program.
Advisors review and provide guidance to the department about proposed projects, planning documents and program direction.

Advisors are appointed by the New Mexico Game Commission to serve on one of five committees around the state. Committees are composed of seven members. Members are selected to represent sporting and nonsporting conservation and public-land grazing permittee interests. Advisors serve three-year terms. The terms of current members expire Dec. 31.

Those who intend to hunt, fish or trap on lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management must purchase a $5.00 Habitat Stamp along with the appropriate license. Proceeds from stamp sales are used to fund wildlife habitat improvement projects throughout the state.

Advisors meet with federal and state biologists each winter to discuss current habitat conditions, regional habitat plans and future habitat projects. They meet again in the spring to recommend projects to fund. Advisors also can attend optional field trips during the summer.
The commission is scheduled to appoint 35 new citizen advisors at its meeting Nov. 17 in Grants.

Those applying to serve will be evaluated upon:

Availability to attend meetings and participate in program activities.
Familiarity with the program and wildlife conservation or habitat restoration activities.
Knowledge of public lands and habitats.
Qualifications to represent a particular constituent group.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back