MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Organizations against land transfer

Oneye

http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazin...as-Public-Lands.aspx/?_utm_source=FacebookNWF

I was glad to see again that aside from the very vocal organizations against the land transfer there are these organizations that also are against the transfer and signed this letter.

The National Wildlife Federation
Boone and Crockett Club
Dallas Safari Club
Ducks Unlimited
National Wild Turkey Federation
Pheasants Forever
Quail Forever
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership
Trout Unlimited
Wild Sheep Foundation
Wildlife Management Institute
All chapter of the National Wildlife Federation

I honestly get to wondering what exactly the Republican Party thinks it's gaining here at times....... Some of those names above have a lot of members who are traditionally conservative, who they are slapping in the face.

There are also lots of local groups that are opposed as well.

I get phone calls at least 1-2 times a week from BHA members and potential BHA members that specifically ask about what we're doing this transfer of public lands that the GOP thinks is a good idea.

One of the first things I recommend they do is to see how their local and national representatives/senators feel about it...then vote accordingly.

You'd have to be more politically savvy than I am to answer these questions:

1. Why are the Republicans more open and honest about this now? Is it because they feel emboldened by something (what?), or is it a last gasp, or are they happy with another chink in the armor as part of a long-view game plan, or are they just testing the waters, or is it an effort to get more hard-release in negotiations, or what?
2. If "we" are successful with our petitions and push-back and letters to them, will they flip over to our side, or will they merely go back to the dog whistle work-around platitudes?

Personally, I don't get it. But I kind of like it. It's nice to have them out in the open. Do we want to drive them underground again? I know we'd rather have them flip, but you better get a sworn mia culpa flip or we'll be back to voters cutting them slack because they "sound good."

Remember, if it gets too bad, you can always flip.

I don't think that the GOP is feeling particularly emboldened. From reading about the Sagebrush Rebellion, it really seems that they are just pulling a page out of the the old play-book. (Sorry, all I can do is read about it since i was under 10 when it was occurring). It could be that they are trying to play the long con, but I'm not sure. As far as what happens if they fail, I'd say they go back to the work-arounds. After all, they still are getting huge money from sources that would like to get control.

Follow the money. That what's happening here. Big money flowing it to law makers pockets is giving them all the incentive they need to push PLT. further more look for industry money flowing into law whore groups like ALEC.

I wonder where REI, Cabelas, and Scheels stand on this. It seems like loss to public access would really hurt their bottom line.

Tkaldahl2000 - have you asked where REI, Cabela's, Scheels, Bass Pro, etc. stand? That's a good question so I am going to ask it. If I hear back I will share here.

Tkaldahl2000 - have you asked where REI, Cabela's, Scheels, Bass Pro, etc. stand? That's a good question so I am going to ask it. If I hear back I will share here.

I asked REI some time ago and got the following reply after a long wait. When you contact them you might want to frame your question in a way that leaves little wiggle room and gets a better drill-down on specifics. All in all, though, I think they and their membership are generally already on the right side of the politics of this issue in voting Democrat. They may not feel like they have much else they can do, since the other side won't listen to them anyway:

"Hi James,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your thoughts. And thanks for your patience in my response. As this is an important topic, I wanted to be sure to talk to the appropriate groups throughout the co-op. Access to public lands is important to REI and our members’ ability to enjoy the outdoors. Public lands always have been and will continue to be a main focus area.

With respect to the “sell off” of public lands, we have strong relationships with nonprofits throughout the country that are very active in their advocacy on this issue. If you check out www.protectourpublicland.org, you’ll see the organizations driving the conversation. We support or partner with many, many of these, including Outdoor Alliance, IMBA, The Mountaineers, OIA, OIWC, etc.

In full transparency, we don’t fully know what politically or policy-oriented communications our members might have an appetite for. The membership base spans the country, encompasses many communities and reaches into the millions. We know the type of gear they like, but not whether they are looking to us for perspectives on hot issues. Closing this knowledge gap – and learning how we can be helpful in the advocacy space – is an aspiration of ours, but it’s a good-size undertaking. We’re in the early stages of that learning process (for example, raising awareness of the LWCF via our social media channels last October), and we hope to learn fast. But it will take a bit more time.

Again, I appreciate you raising this issue as it’s important for us to hear what’s top of mind for our members. I have also shared your note with our government affairs team. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Take care,
Mike"

Look at who they support. I've asked KUIU and Sitka. KUIU gave a hard stance against it, Sitka said that they support RMEF,BHA, and TRCP and that's where they stand. Bass Pro supports NWTF I know and they have signed letters against it. Basically anyone sponsoring BHA, would be IMO supporting the movement against it. Cabelas is a strong partner with RMEF who has came our hard against it. I've asked Vortex who has said they are against it. Leopold sponsors Randy, so that's their stance the way I see it. I agree that it would be nice for every company to come out strong against it and I would like to see it, but it is hard for a business or brand to come out on such a tense issue that conflicts with other issues within politics in a lot of ways. There are several brands who have came out against it and some who have done it more behind the scenes. While businesses and organizations speaking up is important, it is the sportsmen who need to get themselves heard. Call/email your reps, vote in November, and spread the passion for this issue and educate people.

Back