Episode 29

huntid73

Just finished listening to this podcast and loved it. I have a thought (might be naive of me, but whatever): Should the value of public lands and getting involved in hunting organizations be brought up more in hunter's education classes? It would seem to me that we are missing a great opportunity to include kids in the process of getting involved. I don't recall anyone talking in my class (about 15 years ago) about getting involved in organizations like RMEF. I know a lot of the organizations have good youth programs, since I was a member of the Wild Turkey Federation for a while and think that if our children are taught young to get involved, then maybe the voice of hunters will carry on. I know I may get grilled, but got thinking about it listening to the podacst.

The value and access of public land should be a topic in Hunter Ed. I think that can be left up to the discretion of many instructors as while it may not be in the printed curriculum, it could be added into classes. Or as more and more are taking hunter ed online (near 80% in some cities in CA) getting it incorporated into the text, even if at a high level could be valuable.

As for talking about getting involved with organizations, I know in CA at least, we are prohibited from pitching any products or groups in class. This could be left vague so as to not direct to any specific group, but it was specifically called out in training that you can sell a product or recruit for membership for your organization.

I'm not sure what Idaho allows and doesn't allow, so I might have to ask that. I am considering volunteering to teach a class, and would like to tell the students to get involved. I guess if i did and got in trouble, then I get in trouble.

It sounds like I'll have to email or ask on the Idaho Department of Fish and Game website if the public land issue is brought up at all in classes. I vividly remember being hounded about asking first on private land and about how access is being limited to hunters, but maybe the public land issue wasn't as hot when I was a youngn'! Idaho does have the "Access Yes" program that they push, but I think a discussion on public land access should be addressed now more than ever.

Most of the time in Idaho a dept. employee will come in to the class to talk about what the dept does, wildlife management info, habitat etc. Being an involved hunter is talked about, volunteering, etc but not usually an actual endorsement of any particular groups.

I will comment that the instructors of my hunter's ed plugged NRA here in Illinois.

On another note, I have tried to pay attention to hunting issues in the legislature. Nowhere near as easy as Finn puts it out. Earlier this month there were bills in front of 4 different committees that effect sportsmen. Everything from the Ag committee to energy. Maybe it is easier in other states, considering the dysfunction that is Illinois.

For the past 3 months or so, I have been trying to get ahold of anybody here in my home state of Tennessee to do some hands on volunteer work. I have sent emails to the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Administration), which is the agency in Tennessee that deals with hunting and fishing, as well as the National Wild Turkey Federation, to which I am a member. I still have not heard back from anybody at the TWRA, and the NWTF referred me to my local chapter, but they are mostly concerned about how to raise money for their banquet. Frankly I am surprised how hard it is to give away free labor.

After listening to this podcast earlier this month, it got me thinking about maybe trying to start my own group that could correlate with the state wildlife agencies and get some people together to volunteer on public lands to help improve the habitats through various activities. I was thinking that if I could get a group of people, even a small group, together and do something one weekend a month that we could make a noticeable difference in our public lands. We wouldn't have to go overboard with elaborate plans, maybe just start by having trash pickups. I know where i hunt, there is a ton of trash left on or near the trails. Then from there, maybe, build some bird or duck boxes and set them out. This might seem like kind of small scale, boyscout stuff, but it would be a start and from there, we could have room for unlimited growth.

This is just an idea that has been floating around in my head for a month, and the worst that could happen is it could fail, but why not try, right? What do y'all think? I'd love to hear some input and ideas.
Thanks,
Ralph Cody

For the past 3 months or so, I have been trying to get ahold of anybody here in my home state of Tennessee to do some hands on volunteer work. I have sent emails to the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Administration), which is the agency in Tennessee that deals with hunting and fishing, as well as the National Wild Turkey Federation, to which I am a member. I still have not heard back from anybody at the TWRA, and the NWTF referred me to my local chapter, but they are mostly concerned about how to raise money for their banquet. Frankly I am surprised how hard it is to give away free labor.

After listening to this podcast earlier this month, it got me thinking about maybe trying to start my own group that could correlate with the state wildlife agencies and get some people together to volunteer on public lands to help improve the habitats through various activities. I was thinking that if I could get a group of people, even a small group, together and do something one weekend a month that we could make a noticeable difference in our public lands. We wouldn't have to go overboard with elaborate plans, maybe just start by having trash pickups. I know where i hunt, there is a ton of trash left on or near the trails. Then from there, maybe, build some bird or duck boxes and set them out. This might seem like kind of small scale, boyscout stuff, but it would be a start and from there, we could have room for unlimited growth.

This is just an idea that has been floating around in my head for a month, and the worst that could happen is it could fail, but why not try, right? What do y'all think? I'd love to hear some input and ideas.
Thanks,
Ralph Cody

Sounds like you're talking about the BHA! I'm sure a TN Chapter would be appreciated.

I would for sure be willing to join a BHA chapter here in Tn. The bad thing about most public land users around here is that that don't even realize how bad they need someone advocating on their behalf, or that that our public lands are threatened to start with. Our NF lands here in east Tn are used heavily by deer, bear, and turkey hunters alike.

After listening to this podcast earlier this month, it got me thinking about maybe trying to start my own group that could correlate with the state wildlife agencies and get some people together to volunteer on public lands to help improve the habitats through various activities. I was thinking that if I could get a group of people, even a small group, together and do something one weekend a month that we could make a noticeable difference in our public lands.
Sounds like you're talking about the BHA! I'm sure a TN Chapter would be appreciated.

If what you want is to improve the public lands, and access to them, then I recommend getting involved with BCHA. If you want to work with the state Fish and Game agency then a local or state Hook and bullet organization would seem more in line. Join both is my recommendation.

Back