Randy - Golly Gee No More

Elk63

Hi Randy;

I really enjoy all the elk hunting videos you put out (so far, I think they are second to none). But what gets a little annoying is hearing you say "you've got a lot to learn" or "I'm just like any other DIY hunter on public lands". Please...

I know your trying to be modest, but at what point do you say that you are seasoned professional hunter, that most hunters would like to aspire to? It is what you are, a pro.

I just hope I don't see another "Golly Gee" video where you claim to only having a tiny fraction amount skills to bag an elk.

It kinda insults most of us, (me included) that have never bagged an elk.

Randy is a pretty humble guy and while he has this great platform I don't think (hope not) he will ever be the chest pounding guy you see on many other shows who claim to be "pros". What is an insult is these dudes that claim such when in Reality there are hundreds of guys around the globe that could hunt circles around them and yet they aren't classified as "pros" nor do they aspire to be classified as such. He's smart enough to realize that he can continue to learn and figure out new things as well. So be prepared I suspect to continue to see more "golly gee" videos. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

The more you learn, the more you realize how much more there is to learn. In my experience, the real experts are not afraid to admit they do not know everything. Another reason I like Fresh Tracks

“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.”

― Nicholas Murray Butler

I agree with Lawnboy and Corax... "the real experts are not afraid to admit they do not know everything"

Last edited:
The worst elk hunter (insert any other task), is the one who thinks they have nothing left to learn.

I would say if this bothers you, you might need to recalibrate what your expectations are of hunting elk.

Pros have fluffers. You could probably drop 90% of TV hosts onto public land in the rut with a rifle and a backpack and less than half would get a shot at an elk.

That might make a good mock survival show like Dual Survival where they drop those guys in the wilderness and tell them they need to get to civilization. In this case they just need to fill a tag.

I realize that the point of OP was to (backhandedly) compliment Randy on being a skilled elk hunter, but, as others have stated, this thread highlights the primary reason I like watching Randy and cannot stand nearly all other hunting show hosts. It seems that Randy is one of the few that make the show about the hunt, not the kill, and you can tell that there is a deep sense of gratitude and respect toward the animals he hunts.

I used to think that the goal of an elk hunter was to kill elk and that success was measured by the number/size of elk a person killed. With that mindset, however, you reach the end of the road pretty quickly. On the other hand, if you can figure out a way to enjoy the process of learning, which is what it seems Randy has done, it seems a lot easier to find your passion.

I don't mean to sound self-righteous, there is something gratifying about tagging a nice bull or buck, and that definitely plays a role. It seems, however, that as I get older, the act of taking a life gravitates further and further into the realm of necessary evils (necessary since I'm not a vegetarian and don't plan to be one).

Maybe senility is taking hold early, who knows :)

Being humble is an insult? Please....

Always striving to be better and learn more are attributes I wish more people possessed today. Stay the course Fin.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John Wooden

I agree with the others in this thread. Randy is a breath of fresh air in the world of hunting "personalities".

It's clear that Randy is an above-average hunter. Few could travel to places they've never been before year in and year out and slay elk within a five day window over and over again with the success rate he seems to maintain. That said, his story of moving west and hunting 6 years before finally killing an elk - before finally figuring out what works and what doesn't and the amount of effort it takes - show that there's nothing innate about his success. He shares that information openly and verifies that Elk success is a product of effort and intelligence. It correlates strongly with hard work.

Which is exactly what every hunter should want to hear IMO.

I had a friend who hunted with a well known bow hunter that has many trophies from around the world to his name. I don't want to mention names and smear this professional, so I won't mention names here. They were up with Ungava hunting caribou. Before the hunt even began, my friend and his companions were told to stay out of a certain area because the professional had exclusive rights to it. He ended up killing a record book caribou that week, but he had an exclusive territory to hunt totally by himself. I would like to think that anyone with good hunting skills, when given that opportunity would be able to do the same. I like Randy's style and it is part of the reason why his show is one of only three hunting shows I will watch. There are people that could have easily been considered "professional" if they wanted the title. I like that Randy shuns it. You know he is a great hunter just by how successful he is. But the fact that he hunts the same places/ways I can hunt makes him unique to the TV show world.

My dad has killed several whitetail bucks over 160 inches and more than a few over 170" with his bow over the years and not one has ever been in a magazine. He has had people try to write up stories about his trophy collection, but he is totally uninterested. He can make traps with nothing more than a pocket knife, some good saplings and time. He has forgotten more about how to hunt than what most people learn in a lifetime in the woods. It was mostly out of necessity because his family was dirt poor and he provided. I would consider him one of the best hunters I know; most definitely a professional if he had chosen to accept that moniker. In the end though, he is just "dad" and I am glad that I have learned from him.

Being humble is an insult? Please....

Always striving to be better and learn more are attributes I wish more people possessed today. Stay the course Fin.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - John Wooden

I agree. Being offended by humility is rather odd.

The older I get, the more I realize I really don't know shit.

I realize that the point of OP was to (backhandedly) compliment Randy on being a skilled elk hunter, but, as others have stated, this thread highlights the primary reason I like watching Randy and cannot stand nearly all other hunting show hosts. It seems that Randy is one of the few that make the show about the hunt, not the kill, and you can tell that there is a deep sense of gratitude and respect toward the animals he hunts.

I used to think that the goal of an elk hunter was to kill elk and that success was measured by the number/size of elk a person killed. With that mindset, however, you reach the end of the road pretty quickly. On the other hand, if you can figure out a way to enjoy the process of learning, which is what it seems Randy has done, it seems a lot easier to find your passion.

I don't mean to sound self-righteous, there is something gratifying about tagging a nice bull or buck, and that definitely plays a role. It seems, however, that as I get older, the act of taking a life gravitates further and further into the realm of necessary evils (necessary since I'm not a vegetarian and don't plan to be one).

Maybe senility is taking hold early, who knows :)

I love your comments. As I get older I too find it way less important to fill a tag than when I was younger. However, and this is no BS, I get more excited and anticipate my hunts more at 60 than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. Actually it started in my early 40's when it became way more about my kids and their hunting and fishing adventures than my own. I'm sure to most of us that's probably the case, I'm certainly not unique in that regard. As for Randy and his show Fresh Tracks, the things he says and the humble humility in which he conducts himself has me saying "damn, that's just how I feel". How refreshing.

I would watch Randy's video programs even if he did not show the kills. He captures the hunt and has a great cinematography crew. They deliver a strategy that is either right or wrong, show persistence, then make adjustments to be successful. Very educational for the younger hunters that may be watching. He also promotes proper ethics that helps promote hunting as a practical tool for wildlife management.

To the OP, I totally understand your perspective - yes, Randy is a VERY HUMBLE guy. He is also a VERY GOOD hunter, for many reasons no doubt! But, since truth and humility trumps all with Randy, he will always (he better or Lawnboy will hold him while we slap him around a bit) communicate/present that to the world.

To the OP, You're completely missing the point he is trying to make. Public land, boots, maps, resource utilization and the ability as well as willingness to push harder than the average hunter. He is handing the viewers the tools to do exactly what he is doing.

While I understand what you are saying I think you either like Randy's personality or you don't. Is he a pro, of course he is, he gets paid to hunt and that in itself deems him a professional, but that does not mean he's not a "regular" guy. I agree with Realtime, they point of Randy's show is to show you all of this public land you can hunt for free and here are some of the tips that help him hunt the pubic land. While I know he does not always just show up without prior knowledge and hunt a piece of land, he does share knowledge and try to help others be successful.

Randy, IMO, is one of the best people out there in the profession. He, along with Jim Shockey, Cameron Hanes, Jim Burnsworth, make shows enjoyable because it isn't about the kill... It's about that feeling you get when you wake up before a 4 A.M. alarm wide awake to make the day before you an adventure. If Randy never showed bloodshed from a hunt he was on, I'd still watch the show. He knows what he's talking about, he can give you the resources you need to allow YOU to know what you're talking about, and he does it without coming across like an ignoramus. Big Fin, keep up the damn good work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back