Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

High Lonesome Ranch

HighDesertSage

Opening that road would be a game-changer for hunting access in the area.

The commissioners can not be surprised by this. Garfield County has been very active lately posting "Historic Right of Way" signs on county roads, many of which cross HL or other private parcels, and provide access to public lands. Identifying the public right of ways is long overdue up there.

Thx for posting the link.

I was all excited when I heard about this last fall thinking thinking it would open up a new area to hunt December cow elk. December 1st I sat in my truck for 5 minutes in front of the gate wondering if it was worth my time to cut the lock. I decided it didn't, I am way to pretty and soft to be in jail :) Hopefully this gets worked out by next December. I do thank High Lonesome every time I drive by it though with a nice finger salute, and I really do appreciate the pheasants every winter I shoot while looking for elk that come off of their property.

I work for the county but not on this project. County is actively identifying historic routes and communicating and collaborating with public and private landowners as part of the process. Even those that look like a cattle path are worthy of signage even if only to increase awareness.

I have no opinion on the suit or news article.

Last edited:
Base Camp accommodations.....not your everyday wall tent

http://www.thehighlonesomeranch.com/dining-lodging/lodging/

No joke! That is one swanky establishment. I won a mule deer hunt for the High Lonesome a few years ago.... $10K for a deer seemed more than a little excessive to me.... but who was I to argue with a free hunt.

Turned out, that hunt got bumped in favor of an archery grizzly hunt in B.C.... so I guess I was "lucky" I didn't have to worry about associating with these dirty road blockers. Ha Ha.

If Garfield County opens the road, what additional steps would be required for it to access public land? The Senile (intentional error by past subscriber)article said the road would not access any BLM land. As a larger trend, I'm in favor of opening historic roads/trails to increase access across private ground to public lands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back