Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument

jryoung

Back in December 2014 I attending a public meeting dedicated to hearing the comments of local residents, business’s, various non-profits and local authorities with respect to the possibility of a monument designation for the Berryessa Snow Mountain Area. Support what overwhelmingly positive, from all groups with a few residents speaking out against but the voices for far outweighed those against. In addition to resident support, all county commissions of all five counties in the proposed area were in support. Groups in support ranged from the Sierra Club to the Blue Ribbon Coalition, the International Mountain Bicycling Association to California Trout as well as the largest landowners/ranchers in the designation.

Last July, the President signed the Proclamation designating it and this past Saturday was the dedication. Several of the CA member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers were there to show our support of the designation, help communicate why a collaborative process such as this one is so critical to conservation, and let folks know that hunters and anglers are in support. My co-chair and I got to meet Sally Jewell and she was kind enough to spend a few minutes talking with us despite line of folks anxious for the opportunity.

Pretty cool to see this all come together. I’m going to make it a point to hunt there this year in some way shape or form. If not next month for Turkeys, then I’ll brave the heat and poison oak for a blacktail this fall. It’s an amazingly diverse area with some of the most unique flora and fauna in California as well as geological oddities.

Director of BLM Neil Kornze

State Reps Thompson and Garamendi inviting 20 or so folks up from various groups that played a major role.

108406-full.jpg

Great post! Thanks all California outdoor folks will benefit from this!

I hunted both east and west sides of that area a lot when I was a kid. True Wilderness!!

Well done! Now be prepared to help work out the details on the LUP. Might need to pencil out a decade or so... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back