Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Plan in Idaho to lease off 580 acre of state land to tweed wearing gentry

dannyb278

Interesting article in the Boise Weekly:

http://m.boiseweekly.com/boise/public-lands-who-are-they-for/Content?oid=3744207

The plan, if approved is to lease the 580 acres of state land exclusively to a private outfit who charge their customers 4,000.00 PER DAY to hunt grouse while wearing tweed jackets.

No blaze orange or camouflage allowed, per club rules.

"After a few rounds of shooting, the guests take a break and have lunch under a safari tent—“placed in a glorious wooded grove”—then take a few more shots in the afternoon and retire to the lodge for tea and cocktails. "

The profit to the state is estimated at only 5-10 grand per year, while the outfit charges 4,000.00 per day, per customer.

Welcome to old world style hunting! The place our Conservation Model was designed to be a alternative too.

Seriously, the more I read about this, the more this whole concept pisses me off.

You got to be kidding me! Go lease some land that does not belong to the public where access does not exist.

This could become reality on what is currently federal land if the states are successful in getting the land transferred. It's a good thing it's small acreage and a small sum of money otherwise the state could not ignore it. We all better start paying attention to this transfer idea, voice our opinions to our elected officials and exercise our right to vote. It is way easier for the states to pull this type of thing off if they are inclined to do so. The hand writing is on the wall...

This has to be a joke. How could the general public see something like this and go "sounds cool."? Geez.

Hmmm. I thought this sort of thing was covered at "Orvis approved" lodges?

Guess Im going to have to ditch the Stevens 555, and go find a Brit 12 side by side...and they'd laugh me out of the place with my Lowa boots and kuiu pants...tweed it is!

Not-so-public public land her I come!

Hmmm. I thought this sort of thing was covered at "Orvis approved" lodges?

Guess Im going to have to ditch the Stevens 555, and go find a Brit 12 side by side...and they'd laugh me out of the place with my Lowa boots and kuiu pants...tweed it is!

Not-so-public public land her I come!

Would my Citori be considered too plebian? If not, I'll meet you for tea and a hard boiled egg at the lodge at noon. Perhaps a quick game of snooker and a snifter of brandy before returning to the field.

Aside from the state land issue, you are torn up by their high tea, clothes, and firearms why?

...you are torn up by their high tea, clothes, and firearms why?
It is an iconic representation of the elitist European hunting and wildlife model which spawned a counter concept philosophy resulting in the North American Wildlife Conservation Model.

Ah...those iconic trumped up representations...they don't look like us, I get it.

...iconic smiley representation here.

Ah...those iconic trumped up representations...they don't look like us, I get it.

...iconic smiley representation here.

No because it reeks of the elitist model found in Europe, replace the private moors and red grouse, and put this in its place.

I don't care what they look like, but they can keep their model in Europe.

...they don't look like us, I get it.
No I don't think you get it; it is not the appearance ... it is the iconic representation of a philosophy which was so much opposed that it spawned the counter philosophy. It is not the "look like us" dynamic at all. Actually, many of us really like the tweed look and the cool classic firearms.

This is one of the silliest things I have seen in a while. The guy is from Norway, he probably doesn't have the foggiest concept of the North American Model. I don't think anyone has to like, or dislike, this group's hunting methods to disagree with the deal. IMO, accounting for the type of hunting they are doing only weakens the real argument against this.

That said, whomever in the ID game and fish or government who made that deal, should be fired. It seems like they should be generating plenty of money to buy another section of land on their own, and they can continue to shoot grouse however they want, just not on public land.

No I don't think you get it; it is not the appearance ... it is the iconic representation of a philosophy which was so much opposed that it spawned the counter philosophy. It is not the "look like us" dynamic at all. Actually, many of us really like the tweed look and the cool classic firearms.

Exactly. I love old shotguns and am a sucker for "heritage" branding. That said, the clothing requirement and the language used in the article just strikes me as silly and pretentious, while the idea to take public land away from the people, and the precedent it sets is nearly enraging, especially doing so while wearing tweed.

Its essentially a pantomime of everything the founders of Conservation in America fought against.

This has to be a joke. How could the general public see something like this and go "sounds cool."? Geez.

The problem is awareness. Id bet the amount of people willing to transfer public land to the states is well under 20% of the population. The problem is, its not a main stay issue and isn't really all that discussed during elections.

Back