PEAX Equipment

State Lands That No Longer Exist

MT_BWHTR

Does someone know of a good reference site to see how many acres of land each state was given at statehood, compared to how many they have now? Was it just the western states that were given this land? For instance, I am originally from KS and there is absolutely no "state lands", like there are here in MT. Just looking for some info for myself, and to pass on to some friends back home that don't know why folks value federally owned public land so much. Thanks in advance.

Miller, is the acres in that chart in thousands? As in North Dakota was granted 2,495,000 acres at statehood? I'm assuming so.
Very good information.

Thanks, Scott

Miller, is the acres in that chart in thousands? As in North Dakota was granted 2,495,000 acres at statehood? I'm assuming so.
Very good information.

Thanks, Scott

That's what I would believe too, but then it seems 723 (thousand, assumably) is a little small for our state. Greetings from Dickinson, by the way!

Alaska is missing from the list.

At statehood 105,000,000 acres were selected, but only 90,000,000 has been granted (about 25% of the total state). The rest was selected by multiple entities, BLM/State/Native and "settlement" has taken some time, but is supposed to be finalized in the next decade. When you wait 40 years, what's another 10? :D

Currently about 500,000 is available for settlement and a small portion is sold each year at auction.

Thanks all, this is great information.... Well the info is great, the trend is no so great. I had no clue my home state had over 2 million acres in this program, and now 0.

I may be missing something here, but according to the chart Michigan currently has no state land. Much of Michigan's public land is National Forest lands, however I actively hunt many state game areas. Are these state game areas actually federal owned land?

-Dan

I may be missing something here, but according to the chart Michigan currently has no state land. Much of Michigan's public land is National Forest lands, however I actively hunt many state game areas. Are these state game areas actually federal owned land?

-Dan

A lot of the time it is actually Corps of Engineers property, and the state will have a long term lease to manage for recreational opportunities. That is how a lot of the wildlife areas in KS are at least.

I believe the chart only shows state trust lands. Meaning those lands granted by the federal government to states to manage for the trust beneficiaries. In Montana, there is more state owned land managed by FWP or other agencies.

A lot of the time it is actually Corps of Engineers property, and the state will have a long term lease to manage for recreational opportunities. That is how a lot of the wildlife areas in KS are at least.
IN has some of this. Army Corp, as leased to the state, is my northern property boundary neighbor on my hunting property. IN as has long term leases on privately owned lands that are open to hunting. One area (Sugar Ridge) in SW IN became smaller about 5 years ago after an owner decided not to renew the 30yr lease. It's now being re-strip mined.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back