PEAX Equipment

looking for hunting partner

pawhitetail

Hi all I'm looking for a hunting partner for rifle elk hunting. 2016 will be a little tough for me as I'm still getting equipped for western hunting but still doable 2017 would be a definite . I'm 27 from central pa and hunting elk has always been my dream. I've asked several people and always get the "that's too expensive or that's a lot of money just for a tag and no guarantee ". Well I'm tired of putting it off and am looking for someone else that's serious about hunting elk too. If there's anyone here that is interested in planning a hunt or has room for one more please pm me. Thanks

If you do a little research and get some estimates on cost and possible success rates you may be shocked at the response amongst your friends. A diy western hunt is surprisingly affordable especially if you are willing to camp. Run some numbers and do some research on areas to go. Possibly invest in some preference points this year and go in 2017. When friends find out you are serious they may choose to tag along. One important peice of advise is to always figure about half will back out before you go. Talk is cheap and things change when its time to apply for points, tags, equipment etc. Some guys don't even tell their wives and suddenly out of the blue their "work" schedule changes when they finally break the news. Good luck.

One other thing. If you are doing your first western hunt consider pronghorn. They are easier to hunt, weather is usually better, and cost less. It may be a good intermediate step if its something you would consider.

Yeah I've been doing some research and was going to do either white river or routt near craig, co for first hunt. I also figured if packing in and camping two guys should be able to do the trip for $1300 or less and 3 guys should be able to do it for close to $1000 a piece. The main problem is I'm just not surrounded by many people that have an interest in hunting elk plus having a 30 hour plus trip to do it. Now if I wanted to go deer hunting in a big buck state that would be different. But my passion is definitely going elk hunting there's not one animal I want to hunt more than a rocky mountain elk. Not sure why but that's my top bucket list hunt. I've even considered going solo if I have too but would rather have a partner to hunt with

I suggest just going solo. Unless you have a really good partner that you know you're better off alone. Most partners fall way short of expectations. Doesn't matter if it's pulling their weight on the hunt, researching, planning or just simply committing to go. Amazing how many will back out at the last minute and leave you hanging. There is a lot of satisfaction in getting it done on your terms.

I believe having a partner has way more pros than cons . I have been very fortunate finding great guys to hunt with using the internet and sites like this. Have I hunted solo? Yes, but having someone to share the experience with you and adventure makes it that much better. JMHO Good huntin'

Last edited:
I believe having a partner has way more pros than cons . I have been very fortunate finding great guys to hunt with using the internet and sites like this. Have I hunted solo? Yes, but having someone to share the experience with you and adventure makes it that much better. JMHO Good huntin'

Yeah get a bud to go if you can for your first elk hunt. It will be a lot more fun.

I was fortunate that my first elk hunt was with an experienced elk hunter from my home state who was looking for someone to go with him. He had been going for over 20 years and even with his experience he preferred to have someone to tag along. Reasons? After going solo a few times, he realized that if anything were to happen, he's screwed. So if you do decide to go solo, take a Spot, or other locating device. Another reason, someone to share in the long 2 day each way drive. And lastly, he wanted someone to share the experience with. Like taking a kid on their first deer hunt. It's always fun getting others out there and watch them succeed.
He did have the same issues with finding someone that can take 3 weeks off work, that's what he (we) like to do, and who can afford it. It happens. Most people like talking the talk, but that's it.
As for your buddies who says that it's too expensive with no "guarantee". If I was guaranteed 100% that I would kill an elk, I'd never go. I want a challenge!

Do what you can to go. There's alot of logistics for easterners hunting DIY on public land out west. But figuring all of that out, and planning is what makes it so fun. Lastly, I have no clue to what kind of shape you're in, but the thin air with hills everywhere will have you second guessing your sanity!

I HIGHLY suggest you buy an elk point in Wy this year.Think you would have a better hunt in Wy.Anyway, I'd let you come with me one year if you want.I prefer archery hunting them,but go rifle hunting as well.I'm in eastern Pa and drive right past you when I go out west hunting.I'm more in the points game right now, but if I burn mine for Co this year,then I'd certainly do an otc riflehunt there in 3rd season in '17
Elk hunting is an addiction soI recommend you buy a Co and Wy point this year.You WILL want to go again and again

I am also looking for someone to hunt with in 2016 (and onward) - mostly for safety and support as I have all the gear to pull this off already. I have hunted Montana a few times with outfitter/guides and have decided that I can't do any worse without one... and will have a much better experience on a self-guided hunt.

My plan is to drop all my gear including a 4x4 crew cab truck and a freezer in a storage locker near an airport on a late summer scouting trip and fly in/out a few times during the season for a week at a time, at end of season will drive truck back with (i hope) freezer full of elk/deer. Will be prepared to camp backcountry or stay in truck when convenient. I do not plan to hike up the mountain and back down just to sleep in a soft bed (that is what the outfitters want you to do). My rough calculation is that I can fly in/out up to 5 times and hunt a week each time and still not spend as much as I did on my last outfitter guided hunt.

My most recent hunting in PA was in North Central for black bear - success!! Targeted the North Central PA for bear numbers and size - also no dogs or baiting allowed - wanted to chase one down.

I am not sure if you can PM me since I am new to this site. If not, let me know via forum post and I will provide alternate contact info. If nothing else, we can share notes on how to do pull of a hunt like this..

BTW don't go without a SARSAT beacon - that is the "Domino's of rescue" as they are running that rescue team within 30-minutes of you activating the beacon (one good use of our tax dollars).

I wish you were closer, I may be looking for a partner in 2017 ?.
my Regular partner seems to only want to go every other year.
I have all the Camping gear, but I hunt Montana.

Kevin

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back