Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho considers state land leases

Idaho, like other states, is stuck between two mandates. On one hand, they want to let the public use the land in ways that don't "interfere" with maximizing revenue. ON the other hand, they must maximize revenue. At some point, if the price of exclusive access is high enough, the Almighty Dollar with trump public access. That is, if we're not careful about it. Most western states will face a similar conundrums, sooner or later, on school trust land.

Idaho, like other states, is stuck between two mandates. On one hand, they want to let the public use the land in ways that don't "interfere" with maximizing revenue. ON the other hand, they must maximize revenue. At some point, if the price of exclusive access is high enough, the Almighty Dollar with trump public access. That is, if we're not careful about it. Most western states will face a similar conundrums, sooner or later, on school trust land.

Or they will simply restrict access like they do in Wyoming.

We pay thrice in Montana to use our state lands: Our tax dollars support the DNRC who manages those lands and as hunters and re-creationists, we purchase a state lands access stamp, and a state lands hunting, fishing & trapping stamp.

To date, I've not seen one proposal on Transferring public lands to state governments that addresses this issue, or how these lands would actually be managed.

Thanks for posting, I was just about to do the same. My experience with IDL managed lands in this state is its a great place to see cow pies, stumps, weeds and roads. It's also pretty easy to spot many times in checkerboard country, look for the clearcut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back